How to stop fermentation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
Ok so 3rd brew and I'm still learning. I've just discovered my thermometer was a few degrees out and I've been mashing too high. The beer stopped at 1.022. This has been consistent in all the beers I have made. I added the alpha amylase enzyme to see if I could break down any extra sugars and it's going crazy.

My last beer I added half a packet and it only took a two points off so I thought I needed to add more.
I added a whole packet which was only 3-4 grams on Wednesday arvo and it still has a thick krausen on top. Current gravity is sitting on or just under 1.010.

Target gravity was 1.013

It's in my fridge set at 18 degrees. If I chill it right down to zero will it completely stop the ferment?

If you intend to keg the beer then yes chilling it down to cold crash should halt fermentation activity which then you can transfer to a keg and keep cold. If you plan on bottling the brew then it will be dangerous to do because as you bottle there will still be fermentation to complete and you will create bottle bombs which will explode.

Also it would be worth getting a new thermometer.

it will slow it but as soon as you prime it it will start again.
the only way to stop the enzyme you added is to heat it, unfortunately its going to go close to 1000 mate I'm sorry.

barls said:
it will slow it but as soon as you prime it it will start again.
the only way to stop the enzyme you added is to heat it, unfortunately its going to go close to 1000 mate I'm sorry.
Yes I figured I would have to let it run it's course. I'm not set up for kegs yet so it will be bottled. So what will I end up with? Will it be un drinkable?

it will lack body and may end up unbalanced aka too bitter but only time will tell how it finishes up.

Ciderman said:
Yes I figured I would have to let it run it's course. I'm not set up for kegs yet so it will be bottled. So what will I end up with? Will it be un drinkable?
Is it an ale by any chance? If so another option if you’re not set up for kegs is cube it as a real ale and get it in the fridge.

Cubes are a lot safer than bottles as they swell up under pressure so you can see what’s going on and release the pressure (by pouring a beer or loosening the cap) before they split so would be a good option in your case. You can use them for other styles but will lose carbonation unless you can keep them topped up with co2 which I’m guessing you don’t have.

Some users won’t agree with this solution as they are not a fan of using cubes as casks but it simple enough so if you want to give it a go all the info like lubricating the tap to stop it dripping under pressure is in this thread. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70056-carbingconditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg/

Cheers Sean

MODERATION: Personal attack removed

Yeah don't have any co2 yet. Building a deck shortly so I'm going to look to incorporate a bar with taps into the area. Will just let this beer run it's course for now, safe in the knowledge that I won't make the same error again. I've just learned the wife has a infared digital thermometer, would have been handy to know earlier!

Ok so I let it run its course and bottled this last weekend. Thought I'd crack one to see what it's like. As Baris said, it lacks body and has a fair amount of bitterness. It's actually not a bad drink but I feel like its a lot more alcoholic than the 6.17% ABV suggests. Is this just an illusion from the lack of body or could it be more alcoholic than expected?

SG was 1.051
FG was 1.004

The 6.17 doesn't account for the alcohol produced during bottle conditioning. Once that is factored in, brewing software has it at 6.6%

Back