How To Reduce Sediment In Kit Can Brews?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicbrewer

Reaction score
Whats the best way of reducing the ammount of sediment that you get when bottling

Will adding finnings help reduce the sediment or is there a better way of this?

also is it worth racking to a second fermenter with kit can brews (brewcraft recipes)???

any help would be great.

Finings will help settle any solids in the fermenter but not reduce the amount. I guess you're talking about the yeast trub at the bottom of your fermenter, so racking to secondary after the primary fermentation will help with this and be prepared to lose a couple litres racking to secondary and to the bottling cube. I only lose maybe a litre each time, but I find it helps me get a clearer beer in the end so I don't mind. With something like the Brewcraft kits, it would only be yeast that is at the bottom of your fermentor so just be careful when youre racking to not disturb it too much and you'll see an improvement.

If you are brewing kits and bits there is no real need for racking the beer brewing ales.
Especially if you intend to single prime with glucose tablet or spoon of sugar.

Most kit and ale yeast flocculate really well and the beer will clear in the bottles over a couple of weeks.

Now if you want to progress in the brewing steps bulkprime.
This way you get rid of all sediment transfering the green beer into the second fermenter into a prepared sugar solution.

No uneven carbontation any more.
Matti

thanks for the info

Yeah the only reason why I ask is all I am using is 330ml stubbies to bottle into, probably no big deal if it was into long necks.

yeah im talking about the ammount of sediment you get in the bottom of your bottled brews, not sure if gelatine will help with that (maybe if racked in a second fermenter)????

matti, you spooke about bulkprime how do you go figuring out how much sugar when its hard to assertain how much of each ingredients are in the brewcraft packs??

I think the racking and bulkprime are more suited for extract or all grain style brewing not the off the shelf kit mixes which im mucking around with??

With my pale 'lager' style beers I always go for "clear on bottling" but I'm not too fanatical about my UK bitters or stouts.

• Primary fermentation
  • When ferm almost done, rack to secondary for a few days to get off the yeast cake and ensure fermentation finished
  • Crash chill in brew fridge at 5 degrees for at least a week
  • Add gelatine and allow to sit for two or three days
  • Add polyclar and ditto.
Bring back to ambient and bottle. Here's a picture from some time ago of a brew on bottling day itself. :eek:

in_the_bottle.jpg

You would think that there's surely not enough yeast there to bottle condition, but it's amazing where it comes from. A good example of this is Little Creatures Pale Ale, it's bottle conditioned but you would hardly tell from the bit of sediment.

I'll be bottling the same recipe next week and using green Bavaria Bottles with crown seals, and I intend to just swig em out of the bottle as I do with Bavaria from Liquorland.

+1 bulkprime

I use gelatine to fine in the primary vessel, leave it for a few days at least to cold condition, then SIPHON FROM THE TOP of the fermenter into the bulk priming vessel. Then I bottle from that one.

I never use the tap from the primary for anything except the first gravity reading, and maybe a second if the ferement looked suss. I have a partial Belgian Wit in at the moment, and the trub is way over the tap level, and I plan for it to stay exactly where it is.

I am getting much less sediment, and also the extended primary is cleaning up the beer flavours surprisingly well.

I think the racking and bulkprime are more suited for extract or all grain style brewing not the off the shelf kit mixes which im mucking around with??

To my understanding bulk priming is about getting consistent carbonation in the bottle, and is especially appropriate if you're using a range of different bottle sizes. It's irrelevant whether the beer started as AG or a kit.

with gelatine can you do that without cold conditioning?

and whats the best way of doing it if your not cold condtioning?

Yeah you can use gelatine without cold conditioning. Here is a link on how to add the gelatine http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=gelatin . Best way is to add to secondary and leave a week IMO and if you have a tempmate set it anywhere between 0 and 5 degrees for a week once fermentation is complete. Crash chilling the beer down helps drop out the remaining yeast.

Cold works well but is not necessary. When using gelatine 'hot' I use two teaspoons instead of one but I believe that any more is of no advantage and can even work against you.

I bottled a UK bitter yesterday morning without cold conditioning or using polyclar because I don't intend to drink it ice cold and will be drinking it young. I used gelatine simply by adding two heaped teaspoons dissolved in some warm (deoxygenated) water directly to the beer in secondary and gently stirring it in, let it work its way around for half an hour and bottled. It's dropped almost clear since then. I reckon if I hadn't used gelatine it would have taken at least a week to get to this clarity.

Of course I'll end up with sediment but as I mentioned in previous post I dont freak out so much with UK bitters as I store them in two litre bottles and regard them as 'draught' session beers.

Whats the best way of reducing the ammount of sediment that you get when bottling

Will adding finnings help reduce the sediment or is there a better way of this?

also is it worth racking to a second fermenter with kit can brews (brewcraft recipes)???

any help would be great.
I find that for a beer that is relatively clear of sediment, use finings, depends on what you use and where you get it from for the exact amount, so follow instructions. Next day or so, then bulk prime, use another clean fermenter or drum and siphon off from the first from the top which reduces stirring up the orignal sediment. Then bottle from the bulk prime drum. In addition, using dextrose or a more refined sugar such as brewing sugar lessens sediment as normal white sugar has a cellulose cell wall. More refined sugar has this broken down more. This is for the orignal brew and priming.

You should end up will minimal sediment. You will have some as there is always some suspended in the beer. I follow the above when I make kit ciders and there is only ever a slight haze of sediment in the bottle and you can drink it out of the bottle like a shop brought beer and it will be clear.

I'm pretty much a brew it straight and add finings type of guy. I'm not into opening the fermenter much once it is brewed because I want to limit the chances of me entering any contaminates into the brew. My beer is brew in my garage. Lots of different ways to do it, it depends on how much trouble you want to go through. You can always pour the beer into a jug and leave 2cm in the bottle and you won't have any sediment mixed in the glass. IMO

Jeez that seems like a tedious way to do it!

I just fill up a sterile mug with hot water out of the tap, pour in the gelatine, mix it around until it dissolves, then pour it into the fermenter, give it a gentle stir, put the lid back on and then turn the fridge on that my fermenter is sitting in for 2 days. Then bottle.

Seems to work for me... I rarely ever get any sediment.

oright from reading there seems to be many different ways of doing this. I put a brew down last night and its in the fridge at 18 degress. Can someone just suggest a good method of doing it. Im going to be cold crashing the brew in the primary for a week or so then ill rack to a bottling bucket. So can somone tell me when to put the gelatine in.
cheers

I'd put it in 24 hours after you turn the fridge on to cold crash it, as it works best when cold. If using polyclar, add that 48 hours later, and bottle 48hrs (or longer) after that.

Bribie G,
that sounds like a very good way to do it if you can get that clear beer.
Sounds like something I want to try..

So wait until almost ready in primary fermenter, then siphon to second fermenter and chill, then add finings.
Then a week later back to room temperature and bottle?
Or bottle while cold?

And they carbonate ok and leaves less sediment in the bottle?

thanks
Bjorn

Back