How To Hop My Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
I recently made an ale which was meant to have a nice Amarillo hop aroma and flavour - but somehow turned out with very little of either (I have my suspicions on what I did wrong ... but I don't want to discus that now).

What I am considering is to start with some hop tea - boiled then cooled & added to the keg - I have about 50gms of Amarillo pellets, so I was thinking of starting with about 20gms in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes ... not sure how long .. 2? 3? 5?

If that is not enough I can always add more.

not sure about adding a hop tea to the keg (i haven't tried that). I keg hop by wrapping hops in some voile tied to some fishing line and leaving them for a few days until it tastes like i want it to. Then I fish out the bag and drink away.

I just did my first dry hop with Citra in a smash ale. Definately worth it. I threw a small home made hop bag (startsan drenched) with 20g of hops into my secondary 3 days before kegging. They say not to leave it in there too long as it can leave a grassy taste.
Cheers
BBB

Not having any suitable cloth for a bag, nor fishing line that wasn't coated in sea salt, I opted to experiment with hop tea ... used about 30gms in boiling water, then strained into another jug and ran more boiling water through what was now hop pellets turned to hop mud/paste - to about 300ml of water in total.

Cooled it down with ice & added to keg.

The result 24 hours later ... a mild Amarillo hop flavour and aroma which is just a tad sharp but not unplesant ... hopefully it will round out in a few days.

I use this to dry hop with. IMO dry hopping works better than hop tea.

FILE0673_640x480.jpg

Well a week and a half later the aroma/flavour has rounded out nicely & I have a nice clean tasting beer with a satisfying hop aroma & flavour :)

get yourself a coffee plunger. Add hops, add boiling water from the jug, give a little steep, plunge and throw it in. So easy :)

I do like the idea of the hop tea bag though, allowing your beer to infuse to the perfect level of hoppiness.

Latest posts

Back