How to get started in Cider. The definitive(ish) guide to beginner&#39

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put down a batch of cider a few days ago from the Somerset Gold recipe > http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/950-somerset-gold/ < in the recipe section into a 5lt demi, while I wait for my meads haha. Then put a further 15lt in one of those blueish water cooler bottles just using an ale yeast ( i guess) or the brigalow that was available in the local woolies. After 5 minutes, I was bored again (haha) so put down a 5lt batch of the same somerset gold recipe which called for 2.4lt apple & 2.4lt apple and pear, switched the apple for apple & black currant, which smells bloody awesome.
All this waiting is killing me :icon_drool2:

GregMeady, haha yep waiting is the killer. Then bottle and wait some more unless you can convince yourself that the cider is supposed to be cloudy like that!

Brewing my first cider as a special order for a mate. Bloody easier than brewing although it's kinda cheating to use stir bought juice I guess!

12L Coles apple juice
1L Pear juice
1L Apricot juice
3 Granny Smiths, chopped
3 Fuji, chopped
Yeast nutrient
Rehydrated Notto

Ferment at 20degC

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1465552386.787937.jpg

Yum. I was surprised with the end result from Coles juice, didn't expect much but it's ok. Could have more flavour but it comes out better than I thought initially. That reminds me, need to add 10 bottles to my next order, nothing like having groceries delivered to the kitchen bench.

Great thread, thanks for all the effort.

I have made a couple of ciders from fresh pressed apples, mostly table 'sweet' apples and a year or two back I had a go at a couple of perry's, one from pears I crushed the other from farm pressed juice.

Ican't remember what yeast I used for the Perry's but I think it was EC1118. For Cider, first time I used an English Cider Yeast the 2nd 71B.

All four times came out a bit tart, I am not sure if I can describe it correctly but acidic or sharp is the best I can come up with. None were horrible but none as smooth as I would like.

I used the 71B as I read it can ferment some of the malic acid which I believe these types of apples contain as their primary acid??

While the 71B batch is abit young but it seems to taste just the same.

Questions:
What exactly are you trying to add with the tannins? I realise it is to balance sweetness but does it make it taste more acidic or is it that puckering dryness you get with tea? I dont drink alot of tea so am abit in the dark here.

I understand you can add a malolatic culture to the cider to take care of the malic acid, is this the same as what 71B does? I ask as I have read that that culture seems sensitive to things like temperature pH etc and can take a while to complete. My 71B batch is only a month old, it is clearing in the garage where it is nice and cool - below 17c. I am wondering how much time I need to give the 71B to act on the malic acid and should I be concerned about maintaining a higher temp?

Appreciate any help.

so these ciders are non alcoholic .does anyone recommend how to gather the ingredients or a place to buy the yeast from online straight to the door postage.

is this non alcoholic do i just look up the recipes at the top of the site page and buy recipe to order it online

do i times the yest as well by five if making more than one lot or if its two lots add two yest then.

does this cider have to be bottled with the carbonation drops in each one again

kerrplease said:
Cider is alcoholic. You can press some apples and make juice, but don't recommend fermenting it if you are looking to avoid alcohol.

Maybe try the ginger beer recipes?

I can get a lot of apples from the in laws' trees - so thought about making a cider. Do I need to do anything to the juice (will be using a mate's juicer, not a press) before fermenting?

Boil it or anything to clean it up?

Nope. I just let it settle in the fridge overnight and rack off the pulp. Even that is optional though.

Just juice and pitch is all you need to do.

Yes. It does indeed.

Cider differs from beer in that the process is much simpler. The difficulty in cider is getting good apples and blending them into something great.

Whatever it says on the packet. Diferent nutrients have diferent dosing rates.

I'm having a crack at this Cider gig with a batch of 50/50 apple / pear juice from Coles. A couple of questions for the pros:

1. Has anyone had good results with oak chips? If so, how much and how long do you soak them for?

2. Is it best to transfer to a secondary or is bottle ageing OK?

3. Has anyone tried dry hopping with good results?

Cheers!

Back