How To Dispense From Toohey's Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've legally purchased a Toohey's keg. Had the family priest over to bless it, as well. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

The keg's been depressurised and remaining beer poured out. The spear is slightly up, looks like this:
too.jpg

I realise I'll have to purchase a Toohey's coupler, but aside from that, how do I remove the spear? to clean, fill and redispense?

Does this top assembly somehow unscrew?:
too2.jpg

I don't want to force anything, and I understand these kegs are preferred as there's no circlip involved, etc. (usage is slightly easier).

Only been a corny man until now and the benefit of brewing a 46L batch, straight to 1 keg, etc. seems sweet.

Thanks,
reVox

That keg needs repair. The spear has collapsed.

Getting tooled up with a keg service kit would do it. Just like the one at the brewery ;)

Hey guys,

I've legally purchased a Toohey's keg. Had the family priest over to bless it, as well. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

The keg's been depressurised and remaining beer poured out. The spear is slightly up, looks like this:
View attachment 17692

I realise I'll have to purchase a Toohey's coupler, but aside from that, how do I remove the spear? to clean, fill and redispense?

Does this top assembly somehow unscrew?:
View attachment 17693

I don't want to force anything, and I understand these kegs are preferred as there's no circlip involved, etc. (usage is slightly easier).

Only been a corny man until now and the benefit of brewing a 46L batch, straight to 1 keg, etc. seems sweet.

Thanks,
reVox
yeh mate you can unscrew the top. either use a large set of multigrips or drill a hole in the top of the flange out near the edge. you will have to make a tool to unscrew it. I will take a couple of photos and show you later on tonight when i have some more time. let me know if you need me to do that.

Getting tooled up with a keg service kit would do it. Just like the one at the brewery ;)

It looked like mine the otherday, if the spar is loose just screw the top off,then lock it in when you get it out, Grind of the lug so you can screw it in and out when you want.

Hey, thanks guys... I really appreciate the photos and advice.

A tool's a great idea. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of your setup, cloudy.. drill spot and tool if possible.. seems the way to go.

Hopefully, when I tear it apart, my spear is in working order and I can get it locked into place again.

The plot thickens. The plot always thickens. Good fun.

cheers,
reVox

Hey, thanks guys... I really appreciate the photos and advice.

A tool's a great idea. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of your setup, cloudy.. drill spot and tool if possible.. seems the way to go.

Hopefully, when I tear it apart, my spear is in working order and I can get it locked into place again.

The plot thickens. The plot always thickens. Good fun.

cheers,
reVox
Picture_006.jpgPicture.jpg

g'day mate, photos aren't too flash but here you go. the tool is only about 300mm long because you don't want to over tighten them.

cheers.

FYI - I think there is a Tooheys coupler advertised in the FS section ATM :)

It looked like mine the otherday, if the spar is loose just screw the top off,then lock it in when you get it out, Grind of the lug so you can screw it in and out when you want.

Hey thanks for this. I was able to get the top off, and spear locked back into place.

Is this the lug you're talking about grinding off?
keg4.JPG

Or would it be better to grind a small tooth sized channel in the blocking ring
keg2.JPG

so the spear slots thru it and down, then threads on as normal?

Probably the same either way but wondering what others have done.

Cheers,
reVox

much easier to grab some side cutters and snip to lug off.

cheers.

ok sorry to drag up an old thread guys. I've gotten the top of my keg un screw but can't seem to get it to come out of the hole. Just want to go using brute force and break something when there could be an easier method. So question is once i've undo the top how do i get it out?
Cheers Wade

ok sorry to drag up an old thread guys. I've gotten the top of my keg un screw but can't seem to get it to come out of the hole. Just want to go using brute force and break something when there could be an easier method. So question is once i've undo the top how do i get it out?
Cheers Wade

Sounds like you need to unlock the spear from the top (the bit that unscrews & that your coupler attaches to).

The little lug (as shown in post #12) is stuck under the ring (also #12). Once the top and spear are separated, you can angle the spear so it comes out as well. Then, grind the lug off and reattach the two pieces.

I've since given my Toohey's keg away so can check it for reference.. can't remember how much room is in there, if it's possible for you to get some grips to the spear, then turn the top counter-clockwise.. or if it's a pressure deal, where you screw it back down, and depress the center bit, turning it clockwise?

See what you can do or PM Tony as I know he dispenses from a Toohey's keg.

reVox

Thanks guys was so much easier than i thought it was. Just fell apart for me using those instructions
Cheers Wade

I know this is an old thread but i'm in the need of some assistance.
I have a mate that works for Lion Nathan and he got a decomissioned keg for me, looks a bit scraggy but i'd like to try and get it working again.
I've been able to loosen the spear but now i can't unscrew the top. Does anyone know if it screws clockwise or anti-clockwise?
The centre part was clockwise and now thats confused me with the outerpart and if i'm trying to screw it off the right way.
Thanks

Unscrews counter-clockwise, lefty loosey, righty tighty. They are just flaming tight. Try some multi-grips or very large vice grips.

Latest posts

Back