'How to create your own microbrew'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
No, not a story about going pro, but a story of someone revisting homebrewing and after many years (from the London Independent)

Thing is, it contains some interesting stats on the UK home brew scene, one of which is that 20% of homebrewers are women.

I was surprised, because if the same is true here this, and I guess most other, homebrew beer forums are vastly under represented by the fairer sex. Perhaps they are more drawn to wine making than beer.

The only identifiable female on AHB I recall was a poster from outback SA who was into ciders and the like, but haven't noticed a post from her for a few years now. Pity, I liked her posts and she brought a bit of civility to the bloke fest.

Anyway, the yarn is a nice bit of light weekend reading...

Cheers.

UK homebrewer.jpg

How to create your own microbrew: 'Craft beer' is staging a resurgence (this time without the explosions…)

Homebrewing is more popular than at any time since its 1980s heyday, and the 'craft beer' scene is fermenting nicely. Four decades after his first, explosive experiments, David Ryan rolls out the barrel to create his very own microbrew.

The last time I attempted beer-making, I was a callow teen. In fact, it's a sobering thought that my son, Tim, is significantly older than I was the first time I attempted homebrewing back in 1975. Heady days, when "we sang shang-a-lang as we ran with the gang" (or, indeed, not), and our 30 pints of bitter, made with a starter kit from Boots, sat fermenting in the cosy warmth of Mum's airing cupboard.

My first batch, back then, went well. A certain artisan's pride allowed me to overlook the globulous sediment that others might have found disturbing; after all, it tasted like beer, and cost only a few new pence per pint. Emboldened, I progressed to a trickier lager variety, and was even considering the marketable value of "Ryan's Porter". Then it all went wrong.

That same year, brewing my second batch of lager, I added too much sugar at bottling, with explosive results. Imagine Mother's joy at finding her towels and bed linen showered with shards of glass and amber nectar. We never spoke of it again.

Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/how-to-create-your-own-microbrew-craft-beer-is-staging-a-resurgence-this-time-without-the-explosions-9920470.html

There are a few here, I dare say more than we all think, I'm sure that we would be surprised by some of the members we just 'assume' are lads.

One member in particular I know has gone pro and has set up (over the last few years) her own brewery.. Well the hubby built it for her, he doesn't brew.. Sure aids in quality testing though I'm sure ;)

We've certainly seen a lot more ladies coming through the store as beginner brewer's over the last 2-2.5 years which is refreshing & great to see. we've seen that reflected in attendance at the brew school classes and within the local club as well. I doubt it's approaching 20% though. I'd say locally, it's about 10-12%.

Even at 10-12% female members, combined with the other statistic that says one in five homebrewers is in the 18 to 35 age group, that should make sites like AHB a happy hunting ground for youngies of both sexes.

Alas, I was born before my time.

Ahhh yes, I too was born at a very young age......

I think most females tend to ban the husbands from brewing after garage bottle explosions.........at least with my mates..........but they are all geed up to get back into it.....but at the work shed.... :)

Latest posts

Back