How to clear Starsan from a Blichmann Therminator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
I've built myself a Chillwizard clone using a March May pump, a Therminator and an temp probe and oxygenator.
I've not tried it on a brew yet as still practicing the process using water.
I'm happy with the backflush to clean it and running PBW through it but what I can't work out is how to clear out the Starsan that I pump through just before I cool the wort.I know Starsan is a no rinse santiser but leaving probably 1/2 litre in there to be pushed though by the wort seems a bit excessive.
So short of disconnecting all the pipes and shaking it about to get the Starsan out I'm not sure what to do.
What do other people do I wonder.

Is it feasible to direct that first 1/2 litre into a bucket, then when you see the wort exiting switch to your fermenter?

Yes, that's a good idea - not considered that one. Thanks
What I didn't mention is that on some brews I will have a Hoprocket in the circuit too. I wonder if running Starsan through hops has any bad effect? I could of course connect the Hoprocket after the wort begins to appear but that may get messy.

The HopRocket would be more effective if it was located before the chiller.
You want hot wort running theough the hops in the Hoprocket not cold wort.

I've got the Hoprocket after the pump and before the chiller so I suppose the small volume of Starsan in the pipe from the brewing vessel to the pump and the in the pump itself won't hurt too much.

I'd put a small valve at the powest point of your system and allow the Starsan to drain prior. Otherwise do your rinse, then put your lips around the inlet pipe and blow everything out. Considering it'll be all coated in Starsan I can't see you getting an infection this way.

Don't worry about a small amount of Starsan going into the fermentor CKilner, it's no rinse and it's good for yeast health (apparently)

Latest posts

Back