How To Choose A Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
It appears that many believe yeast selection makes a big difference to the final product.

There are sooooooo many different yeasts available, that having any idea where to go what to try is daunting for a noob.

What are the important factors to consider?
- flocculation?
- production of diacetyl?
- production of esters?
- production of other by-products?
- ideal fermenting temperature?
- tolerance of temperature fluctuations?
- ease of getting started?

I prefer ales
. . . . dark beers, stouts, my favourite is an Irish Red Ale,

can someone please point me in the right direction?

Safale?
Wyeast (1056?)

For k&b? US05. Speaking from personal experience rather than any sort of science or research.

It appears that many believe yeast selection makes a big difference to the final product.

There are sooooooo many different yeasts available, that having any idea where to go what to try is daunting for a noob.

What are the important factors to consider?
- flocculation?
- production of diacetyl?
- production of esters?
- production of other by-products?
- ideal fermenting temperature?
- tolerance of temperature fluctuations?
- ease of getting started?

I prefer ales
. . . . dark beers, stouts, my favourite is an Irish Red Ale,

can someone please point me in the right direction?

Safale?
Wyeast (1056?)

All the factors you mention are important but the way I look at it is is it appropriate in the brew you're wanting to make? does it have characteristics you desire i n the finished product?

Yeast selection makes a massive difference to the end result (not a belief - fact).

For Irish Red try 1084. Good versatile UK yeast specifically for irish ale but works in a variety of brews.

Experiment and see what you like, whether using a dried yeast such as safale or liquid yeast (white labs/wyeast/proculture are all reputable brands) the results will probably be better than kit yeast (providing you stick with reccomended temp range, kit yeast particularly coopers seems to be a bit more tolerant of higher temperatures)

All these brands have websites which will list the style of beer which the yeast is suited for, some such as the safale or 1056 you mentioned can be fairly broad (in these cases american style ales, anything from american pale ale to american stout) while others will be more specific (hefe weizen, wit and saison yeasts spring to mind)

Nottingham for my money - it's my house yeast. And it goes like a rocket, which is great if you're power brewing to build up stocks.

From the Danstar site:

"Brewing Properties:

Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17C.
High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008 (2P).
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
Shows flocculation at completion of fermentation, and settling is promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. Because of flocculation, it may tend to slightly reduce hop bitter levels.
Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after rehydration in the recommended manner.
Lager-style beer has been brewed with Nottingham, however low fermentation temperature requires adaptation of the pitching rate to ensure proper attenuation."

I've tried quite a few UK strains, maybe 15 all up ( Wyeast and White labs ), and they are all good to be honest. My fave has been WLP 023 ( ? ) burton ale, but hey, like i said, they're all great. Just read the blurb on the site, and pick one that sounds right for you.

outside the british strains, if you can get your hands on wyeast 1764 - rogue pacman it is by far my favorite yeast for all sorts of ales, although it may put a slight american twist on your stouts, darks and reds.

+1 I'm a big fan of this one.

You've got heaps of replies, but in case you are taking a utilitarian aproach then +1 for Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale.

I love it and use it for all stouts, most darks, some porters and the irish "red" ales. The only trouble I ever had with it was a cold snap last December that slowed it down mid-ferment (and a cold snap in Ballarat is generally pretty f*cking cold), but with some gentle rousing and TLC it woke up and finished the job without any problems.

Don't be daunted, just read the material on each one and grab whatever you like the sound of.

Yeast selection is a huge influence on your beer.
The process I use is something like this:
Lager or Ale
American, English, German/Czec, Belgian
Hi or low gravity?
Hi or low floculationg?
Is it in stock? ;)

One of the things I like about the Brewing Network 'Style' shows by Jamil and co, is that they go into quite some detail about the yeast profiles and how they affect the beer.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/

For dark beers and stouts, fruity esters are less a consideration (this is personal opinion) as the malt's roasted bitterness tends to mask it.

Safale US 05 is a good general purpose yeast. My favourite dry yeast is nottingham, as it is pretty neutral flavour wise (minimal esters), highly attenuates and has a quick brew time and wide temperature range that it likes. I tend to use it for just about anything.

I also like windsor yeast for lower alcohol british ales, dark beers and stouts, as it is less hungry and leaves the full body in those beers (something that notts doesn't always do - it eats everything).

Goomba

outside the british strains, if you can get your hands on wyeast 1764 - rogue pacman it is by far my favorite yeast for all sorts of ales, although it may put a slight american twist on your stouts, darks and reds.

I love this for US beers!!

As a new brewer it was recommended to me by friends and much reading on here that US-05 was a very good beginner 'proper' yeast so bought some. I pitched it into my second brew (CPA k&b) and already it tastes better than my first k&k. If you're a new brewer like me start off slowly and try the simple dry US-05, it's way better and cleaner than kit yeast and way less complex than wyeast and getting fancy like culturing your own etc.

Also a kit sachet is around 6-7gm where the US-05 sachets are 11.5gm.

I bought mine from craftbrewer a lot of 3 sachets for 3.30 each.

As a new brewer it was recommended to me by friends and much reading on here that US-05 was a very good beginner 'proper' yeast so bought some. I pitched it into my second brew (CPA k&b) and already it tastes better than my first k&k. If you're a new brewer like me start off slowly and try the simple dry US-05, it's way better and cleaner than kit yeast and way less complex than wyeast and getting fancy like culturing your own etc.

Also a kit sachet is around 6-7gm where the US-05 sachets are 11.5gm.

I bought mine from craftbrewer a lot of 3 sachets for 3.30 each.

@JunkzOr - Nottingham yeast is available in dry form and is a good all purpose yeast as well - minimal flavours and tolerates a wide range of temps and attenuates (i.e. eats lots) well. It is so good, that I haven't yet seen the need to use wet yeasts, as most of my beers are in style with this yeast. Windsor (also dry) is what I use for english/irish style beers.

Just a thought, hope I helped.

Goomba

@JunkzOr - Nottingham yeast is available in dry form and is a good all purpose yeast as well - minimal flavours and tolerates a wide range of temps and attenuates (i.e. eats lots) well. It is so good, that I haven't yet seen the need to use wet yeasts, as most of my beers are in style with this yeast. Windsor (also dry) is what I use for english/irish style beers.

Just a thought, hope I helped.

Goomba

Hi! Yes I've noticed quite a few heavy/porter/stout makers using the nottingham. I have a muntons highland heavy ale to make next and might just grab some nottingham to try it out too :)

Hi! Yes I've noticed quite a few heavy/porter/stout makers using the nottingham. I have a muntons highland heavy ale to make next and might just grab some nottingham to try it out too :)

I made a Highland Heavy with US-05 reused from a previous beer, carbonated it nice and low, and it really did taste a lot like heavy ales i've had in Scotland.

But, Notts is a cracker too.

Yep.. .for beers of colour.... bar lagers...I've used it in cider heaps of times too..... might be time for me to spread my yeast wings a bit more for the house yeast....and go seppo!

I've tried quite a few UK strains, maybe 15 all up ( Wyeast and White labs ), and they are all good to be honest.

Haven't found a wy liquid UK that I haven't liked. Currently trying pro 103 in an esb (supposedly 1469).

Haven't found a wy liquid UK that I haven't liked. Currently trying pro 103 in an esb (supposedly 1469).

Have heard that it is very close to the mark, but not the same strain. Can't comment from experience because I've only used 1469 once and it was a slant which had suspect viability (had left it in the fridge for about 4 months and didn't know how long it had been stored prior.)

For dark ales, porters, stouts and Irish reds, I'd recommend the Irish Ale (1084) that has been mentioned, but Ringwood Ale (1187) is great as well. I also use 1187 in English milds. Am making my first ESB this weekend and I'm fresh out, would you believe?

michael_aussie, if you want something that will go with your dark beers and Irish reds but is a dry yeast, then the Nottingham does work very well. You could also look at Safale S-o4 and go for a touch higher temperature (19-20 degrees) to get the classic esters that you should attribute to English beers.

Latest posts

Back