How To Cap Glass Softdrink/mineral Water Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interloper

Reaction score
A friend has collected a heap of "Appletiser" carbonated apple juice bottles for me. They look like I could maybe cap them with PET bottles caps, but not a crown seal.

They are pretty much like san peligrino/perier bottles.

Anyone had any experience capping these with a standard bench capper or PET caps?

Ta..

My wife is a fan of Bundaberg ginger beer.
I can recycle the bottles, but use PET bottle caps on them.

Don't know about appletiser bottles. I imagine they might be much the same, but a pic would help.

My wife is a fan of Bundaberg ginger beer.
I can recycle the bottles, but use PET bottle caps on them.

Don't know about appletiser bottles. I imagine they might be much the same, but a pic would help.

See pic attached.... This is what the Bundaberg ones are like isn't it? 050425_210401.jpg

they are not pressure tested bottles. much less carbonation than beer. they would take a crown seal and would could probably test them out with a PET lid. However I wouldnt chance it. there is many a thread that has discussed the dangers of trying these sorts of bottles. If your still really keen to use them put some beer in one and carb it up and see if it explodes.

they are not pressure tested bottles. much less carbonation than beer. they would take a crown seal and would could probably test them out with a PET lid. However I wouldnt chance it. there is many a thread that has discussed the dangers of trying these sorts of bottles. If your still really keen to use them put some beer in one and carb it up and see if it explodes.
well I am a guinea pig, but that might be a bit extreme to test even for me.

Care to point me at one of these threads discussing the dangers?

I might have had a mental blank as I couldn't see any when searching...

I figured Id have a quick search for you and guss what....nothing jumped out at me. They must be buried somewhere. There have been many disucssion with brewers asking if they can use certain tyoes of bottles and the end point is always that if they arent seriously pressure rated then they should be avoided. The appleise bottles are pretty chunky so they may be ok, but its best to test. generally the carb force that comes from beer is much more than soft drink.

I figured Id have a quick search for you and guss what....nothing jumped out at me. They must be buried somewhere. There have been many disucssion with brewers asking if they can use certain tyoes of bottles and the end point is always that if they arent seriously pressure rated then they should be avoided. The appleise bottles are pretty chunky so they may be ok, but its best to test. generally the carb force that comes from beer is much more than soft drink.
Cool I'm glad my google-fu search skills didn't desert me ;)

These bad boys are pretty thick, so I reckon I'll take a chance and see if I can mash a crown seal on...

Or would I be better with PET? Any thoughts?

PET might not make a great seal as its plastic on glass. so id think a crown seal would be the way to go. maybe give both a try.

If you were wanting reasons why you should be careful with thin walled bottles, here's a few pictures of some consequences... link.

They weren't thin walled bottles, just overcarbonated normal bottles, but the result is the same.

PS: As far as I understand soft drinks are more heavily carbonated than beer and have a higher headspace pressure. Soft drink bottles should be ok for beer. But good luck getting a crown seal on them.

Soft drink bottles should be ok for beer. But good luck getting a crown seal on them.

That is a frightening shard of glass in the roof! :eek: As my old man would say "You could take an eye out with that!"

Now humour me - why wouldn't I get a crownie on the bottle? Because my bench capper won't do it or because the bottle neck will snap?

Cheers!

I was referring to the glass bottles with the PET bottle cap threads.

I'm not sure. As I said in my first post... best of luck and I hope it works!

Going a little off topic, sorry.....

rather then glass has anybody ever tried PET soft drink bottles? The reason i ask is I keg my batches and keep a couple of bottles aside and prime for later. I nearly ran out of bottles and went close to putting into a 1.5ltr soft drink PET, but did not want to risk an explosion. For me wife + explosion = "no more home brew". Any thoughts on the 1.25 or 1.5ltr softie?

Thanks
Andrew

Done it before with no problems. Just keep them in a dark cupboard - sunlight + clear bottles = no good.

Thanks for that Adam,

Unfortunately I had to tip about a 1ltr, just about worth crying over. :(

Thanks
Andrew

Hmmm, wife + explosion ... "wife explosion" ?

sounds gruesome :(

</TOPIC>

Reminds me of the classic Eddie Murphy joke regarding STDs..

"What's next? I guess you'll just put your *willy* in and explode!"

soft drink bottles work fine

back when i first started i tried using a water bottle, like a mount franklins one

works well if you dont mind it going all through your storage cupboard

luckily it wasnt glass... just a rip in the bottle and a fair bit of mess to clean up

soft drink bottles work fine
back when i first started i tried using a water bottle, like a mount franklins one

works well if you dont mind it going all through your storage cupboard

luckily it wasnt glass... just a rip in the bottle and a fair bit of mess to clean up
It didn't just blow the lid it ripped the plastic? :eek:

So that must have been one seriously carbed up brew for it to rip thru plastic?

Back