How should I hop my IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef_g

Reaction score
I'm making an extract ipa and i'm after some opinions on how to best hop it.

I'm starting with the following:
2.5kg DME
500g wheat malt
500g dextrose

Will produce OG-1.058

The hops I have available at the moment:
90g citra
90g Amarillo
90g cascade
90g falconers flight
45g galaxy
obviously not wanting to use all of them. Just after some opinions on some good combinations.

I am a big fan of making a hop mix with a few different hops and using quantities of the mix at different points in the boil.

Maybe use some FF at 60min to get some base bitterness then some of the hop mix at 30,15,5,0

Amounts will need to be worked out based on average AA of the mix

Stew

waggastew said:
I am a big fan of making a hop mix with a few different hops and using quantities of the mix at different points in the boil.
this.

Id be going something like Cascade (I dunno FF, not used) to
50% desired IBU @ 60 (Cascade)
25% IBU @ 15 (Amarillo/Citra/Cascade
10% IBU @ flameout/whirlpool (Amarillo/Citra/Cascade)

or some such combination... :icon_drool2:

Thanks Stew

Also left out 200g crystal grain and US05 yeast.

at the moment I'm thinking
20g FF at 60 min
10g each of Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy at 20 min
10g each of Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy at 10m
50g Citra dry hop at 5 days

This will give an IBU of 58

What size batch?

Seems like a waste to use FF for bittering. Honestly all of those hops are wasted on bittering. Have you considered starting with a Coopers can for bitterness and adding flavour/aroma on top?

That looks good too Yob. Was hoping to use the hops for 2-3 IPA's. Maybe that will be my second.

23 litre batch size.

what coopers can would you suggest? was going to have a crack at an all extract but if I can save my hops by using a can it might be a smarter way to go.

Coopers actually make an IPA can, it will be the most bitter of the cans they offer, something like 52 IBU at 23 litres which is pretty much your bittering sorted out. If you want less bitterness and a cheaper can, Coopers "real ale" is ~41 IBU at 23 litres, or the "Pale Ale" can is ~25 IBU at 23 litres.

The flavour of both those cans would not gel well with his hops, IMO.

All extract will make a much nice beer.

Am I better off buying another hop to bitter? Any suggestions?

Magnum is a classic "clean" bittering hop, high AA% but smooth flavour. If you only ever buy 1 bittering hop, Magnum is probably the way to go.

Columbus and Chinook are both fantastic all-purpose hops, bittering, flavour and aroma but the bittering is "harsh", or at least harsher than Magnum. Gives you that sort of bitter "bite" demonstrated in some IPA's. Personally I like the "bite" but some people don't.

+1 for buying some Magnum. A little goes a long way, very smooth neutral bittering hop

keef_g said:
Am I better off buying another hop to bitter? Any suggestions?
Warrior FTW! "...mild, clean bittering qualities. It is widely used in american pale ales and IPAs."

I love it, and at 16% AA you need so very little to add so very much as a bittering hop.

Agree with slash22000. I find the coopers IPA bitter enough, and in my mind I'd use one of these and apply your hops for flavour and aroma. I have Citra Cascade Chinook Simcoe and centennial but havent decided on an approach just yet.

Super alpha for bittering? Should be pretty clean, just found some amongst my other hops.

keef_g said:
Super alpha for bittering? Should be pretty clean, just found some amongst my other hops.
Yep, that's its main use...go for it.

keef_g said:
How's 50g as an amount to dry hop using citra?
It's good for a 20 litre batch but citra likes 3 day dry hops - so I'd recommend dry hopping 3 times 3 days apart at 20-30g per addition.

We're talking a standard ~20 litre brew yeah? 50gm is a good amount, 2.5gm per litre. I was chatting to the brewer of Ticket Booth Pale Ale a couple of weeks back, and he dry hops to 5 grams per litre, so 100gm of dry hops for 20 litres. If you've ever had a TBPA you'll see what that does!

I sway a bit between dry hopping and flameout additions. If you go big with flameout then you probably don't need as much dry hopping, but it's such a personal preference. Go with your 50gm, and see what you think, adjust accordingly next time.

Back