How Much Sodium Percarbonate Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your usage rate of 'pure' Sodium Percarbonate?

• 0.2g/L (5g or 1 teaspoon per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.4g/L (10g or 2 teaspoons per 25L fermenter)

• 0.6g/L (15g or 3 teaspoons per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1g/L (25g or 1 1/4 tablespoons per 25L fermenter)

• 2.4g/L (60g or 3 tablespoons per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 5g/L (125g per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 10g/L (250g per 25L fermenter)

• More than 10g/L

• Total voters
Big fan of the Pink Napisan,I never use an exact amount just chuck a bit in and she be right :icon_cheers:

Cheers

I tend to use sod. percarb. for really dirty brewing gear - eg after a brew all my gear gets a wash - its cheap and does the job fine. Then before i use it again i use PBW to ensure its clean : overkill maybe but it works and for the tiny cost i am happy to stick with it. (follow up with starstan)

when a nice pint cant cost $12 (bars in melb) i dont mind a few cents here and there to brew my own

I think the stuff I'm using is pure Sodium Percarb. Usually about a tablespoon per couple of litres. If I'm cleaning a keg, a smallish cup full. Is that excessive ? :huh:

While we are on the topic. I have 2 questions reguarding Sodium precarbonate (in its Napisan form)

Firstly, Is their Going to be any issues using in the average sort of consentration levels if I am to leave it within the fermenter for a month or so ie. until next use.

Secondly, I have three fermenters and a cube full of it atm so about 100L worth, Any issues with using it to water the garden with?
I think it breaks down fairly quickly, so after a while you'll just be soaking in mostly-water.
I rinse with acidified bleach then let things dry while being stored before I use them next, I find that - for me - that works much better than leaving them soaking.

In one of the other Sodium Percarbonate threads, someone mentioned they use the left-overs to water their garden and even the newly grown plants have no problems with it.

Secondly, I have three fermenters and a cube full of it atm so about 100L worth, Any issues with using it to water the garden with?
I've been pouring mine on the garden with no ill effects BUT I only put down about a brew a month. Sounds like you're brewing a lot more then me...

I'm very specific about the amount I use. I use woolworths brand 30% SP oxygen bleach and I always measure
out exactly (based on a ratio of vessel size: volume of solution): 1 shake per bit of water plus a bit more sometimes.

Super hot water, leave to soak, works a treat.

Goes on the herb/veg garden when it's cool.

I'm very specific about the amount I use. I use woolworths brand 30% SP oxygen bleach and I always measure
out exactly (based on a ratio of vessel size: volume of solution): 1 shake per bit of water plus a bit more sometimes.

Super hot water, leave to soak, works a treat.

Pardon my ignorance manticle but you are saying that hot (Boiling?) water is more effective when using Sodium Perc? I just use hot water out of the tap (60 deg c I guess?).
How do you rinse?

TP

I wouldn't have thought that was a very good idea. The stuff I have works even if in cool water (though admittedly, nowhere as well as in hot water) and it's job is to dissolve organic matter.
I pour my leftovers on the weeds and haven't needed to spray them in a while.

Pardon my ignorance manticle but you are saying that hot (Boiling?) water is more effective when using Sodium Perc? I just use hot water out of the tap (60 deg c I guess?).
How do you rinse?

TP

i have been led to believe that 70deg is the optimal temp, that being said i generally use tap water as hot as it will go (i.e. 60ish deg)

cheers
matt

Depends on what the concentrate (active ingredient) % is. The Aldi brand cheapest one is something small like 15% where as the woolies version (although now lemon scented <_< ) is around 25%. I vary the dose until it gets a thick silky feel between the fingers. Its usually 1tsp for 2L. With the aldi cheapest brand I use one heaped tsp per 2L.

Just looking at my latest ALDI newsletter. Achtung gibt es einem newsletter fur ihnen - :ph34r: And they list 3 grades of cleaner in identical kilo tubs:

Nappy and Laundry treatment $2.49
Advanced Laundry Soaker $3.99
Oxy Laundry Soaker $4.99

I guess as you go up the grades you get more perc, you get what you pay for. However for fermenter cleaning I expect they are all good, because the less perc varieties would have more normal detergent, which is always useful as well for basic cleaning.

The hotter the water the more 'active' the chemical reaction that produces hydrogen peroxide will be, I thought it was best around 76C (but just use hot tap water myself), I'd guess that boiling water would be better than cold too.
I wouldn't have thought that was a very good idea. The stuff I have works even if in cool water (though admittedly, nowhere as well as in hot water) and it's job is to dissolve organic matter.
I pour my leftovers on the weeds and haven't needed to spray them in a while.
When disolved in water Sodium Percarbonate releases Hydrogen Peroxide (which dissipates as a gas or turns into water) and Soda Ash (sodium carbonate), that's why it's used in a range of "eco friendly" cleaners and if used in the "AHB recommended quantities" I'm pretty sure it will be fine on your plants. :) However when using NapiSan you have another 70% of the product to worry about, so you might be right those things may not be so plant-friendly.

@Tidal Pete: my measurement of the hot water is as accurate as my dosage. I usually wack a 15 L pot on the stove, fill the fermenter with it, then top up with hot tap water. I always leave to soak but I have found that the hot water seems to activate the solution and clean better. Unscientific observation only. I think my hot tap water is only high 50s though. At the end of the day, if your equipment is clean, it's clean - even a cold soak will get you there. I used to just use cold water (no chemical), soak for 24 hours and clean with a sponge but I find the hot + oxygen bleach works better and faster.

To rinse, I just use cold tap water (again used to water the garden) and make sure I can feel no slickness when I rub the plastic. With bottles, I rinse till there's a lack of foam formation.

@Mika - I've been doing it for a while. I can't bring myself to discard that amount of water and the herbs seem to thrive from the extra. It is fully biodegradeable (yes even the non-sodium percarb bit). I haven't needed to water my garden using anything but brew cleaning and rinsing water for some time (about three times during 45 degree summer days are the only exception).

Back