How Much Sodium Percarbonate Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your usage rate of 'pure' Sodium Percarbonate?

• 0.2g/L (5g or 1 teaspoon per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.4g/L (10g or 2 teaspoons per 25L fermenter)

• 0.6g/L (15g or 3 teaspoons per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1g/L (25g or 1 1/4 tablespoons per 25L fermenter)

• 2.4g/L (60g or 3 tablespoons per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 5g/L (125g per 25L fermenter)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 10g/L (250g per 25L fermenter)

• More than 10g/L

• Total voters

Wolfy

Reaction score
Sodium Percarbonate (or it's illegitimate love child NapiSan) is widely used as a cleaner/soak for many brewery applications.
However, despite the extensive reference and numerous threads, I can't seem to find any clear indication as to what the recommended usage rate for 'general' cleaning is.

By 'general' cleaning I really mean soaking/cleaning fermenters and bottles, and for the sake of simplicity lets talk about the usage rate of 'pure' Sodium Percarbonate, which may need to be adjusted if you're using 20-30% NapiSan.

Numerous sources like BreWiki simply suggest that the usage rate depends on soilage, which while it might be true is not very helpful.

Most of the AHB general forum comments (in the many threads I searched) indicate that a usage rate of 1 to 3 teaspoons per full fermenter is the 'accepted usage' rate, this equates to 0.2-0.6g/L.

The usage rate for P.B.W. - which contains Sodium Percarbonate - suggests (see downloadable product .pdf) 1-3 Oz per Gallon (7.5-22.5g/L).

Beerbelly suggests 10g/L and Grain and Grape's Oxyper (a mix of Sodium Percarbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide) suggests a usage rate of 7-10g/L.

Given that the 'commercial' recommended usage rate is 16 to 112 times more than what many people have reported using with success that seems like a massive difference to me.

At the end of a brew or bottling day, I fill a fermenter with hot water and 2-3 teaspoons of Sodium Percarbonate, throw all the spoons, taps, gaskets, measuring glasses etc inside and let it soak over night. The next day (in general) a quick wipe over and rinse and everything appears to be totally clean - even the stuff caked onto the sides of the fermenter has been removed.
So I'm not sure I can imagine using 1/4 kg of the stuff it in the same single fermenter clean and soak.

I'd be very interested to know what quantity of Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan) everyone else uses, and if there are any tips/suggestions for the use of Sodium Percarbonate as a general brewery cleaner.
If there is a general consensus on usage rate, application and applicability, I might make a 'Cleaning with Sodium Percarbonate' AHB Article for quick reference in the future.

Wow I am glad you put this thread up, I have been using it at the rate that is suggested by the manufacturer. Lucky I have only just got my first batch of it.

I think it is important to state in what form you are using it so the quantities are relevant. (Napisan Oxiaction) for me.

I use pinches, dashes, and sometimes a shake. Really don't measure, but it will depend on what I'm doing. for example, if its a relatively clean fermenter (like just did a 4 week ferment of a light lager with really low krusen) there may not bee the gunk build up, and i will probably employ the dash, or a couple of pinches. If i just did a Wheatie where the yeasties tried to exacpe from pentridge, it'll be the shake. more for more, less for less.

in terms of your poll, on average, i'd say about a tablespoon plus per fermenter. for soaking bottles, way less (maybe 1/4 of it) but I really don't do that too often.

edit: using pure form.

Most of the AHB general forum comments (in the many threads I searched) indicate that a usage rate of 1 to 3 teaspoons per full fermenter is the 'accepted usage' rate, this equates to 0.2-0.6g/L.

The usage rate for P.B.W. - which contains Sodium Percarbonate - suggests (see downloadable product .pdf) 1-3 Oz per Gallon (7.5-22.5g/L).

Hmmm I wonder if this is why those PBW advocates are always yabbering about how it is like a supercharged sodium percarb, doing everything better and faster. I guess that'll happen when you're using 100x as much...

Hmmm I wonder if this is why those PBW advocates are always yabbering about how it is like a supercharged sodium percarb, doing everything better and faster. I guess that'll happen when you're using 100x as much...

i use PBW exactly the same as Sod Perc and thats exactly the same as Maple with dash's, sprinkles and shakes. I rate PBW over Percarb any day at the same usage rates.

One heaped teaspoon 100% Sodium Perc\30 litre fermenter here.
Haven't bought a new fermenter for a while now. Can you get 25 litre fermenters????? I have an old 27 litre that I use for racking when required.

TP

Using the same stuff I got in Wolfy's bulk buy, I started using about 2 heaped tablespoons per fermenter. Every brew I've dropped the amount, and I'm now down to 2 level teaspoons.

I still leave it overnight, light rinse the next day. 2 level teaspoons is working just as well. Next time I'll try even less.

Great stuff, and can't be beaten for value in my experience.

Re: Sodium Perc v PBW, my limited experience says they both have their place. I'm soaking my kettle (with inbuilt electric element) ATM in PBW, and the scale (which was REALLY bad on the element) is coming off in sheets. Sodium perc for fermenters, paddles, etc, PBW for baked on stuff.

I also believe that sodium perc will stain aluminium (due to the oxidising effect). PBW (being a caustic cleaner) won't. Don't quote me here though.

Geez, and I've been using PBW at 1 teaspoon per 2.5 lts. That doesn't look like much when it comes out of a 1.8 kg tub but when I make up 20 lts of the stuff that's 8 teaspoons. I think I'll try half that in future. Zebba, how much PBW did you use to clean your electric element?

Pink Napisan - half a cap in the fermenter full of water. 24 hours, no scrubbing.

EDIT: my local Coles last week had the 2kg tubs for $10.

Depends on what the concentrate (active ingredient) % is. The Aldi brand cheapest one is something small like 15% where as the woolies version (although now lemon scented <_< ) is around 25%. I vary the dose until it gets a thick silky feel between the fingers. Its usually 1tsp for 2L. With the aldi cheapest brand I use one heaped tsp per 2L.

I've been using a third of a lid in a full fermenter. I bought 10k in a bulk buy months ago, still have a heap to go.
Ross, the Chemical Mob at Clontarf wholesale a 25k sack of it for about $85 - have you ever thought of selling 500g or Kilo lots ex Craftbrewer? I'm sure there would be interest.

I've been using a third of a lid in a full fermenter. I bought 10k in a bulk buy months ago, still have a heap to go.
Ross, the Chemical Mob at Clontarf wholesale a 25k sack of it for about $85 - have you ever thought of selling 500g or Kilo lots ex Craftbrewer? I'm sure there would be interest.

Bribie,

Pure SP is not a very effective cleaner, so no we don't have any plans to supply it. However, for a well priced alternative to napisan, free of phosphates & scents....you'll have to watch this space ;)

Cheers Ross

Zebba, how much PBW did you use to clean your electric element?
I used the Craftbrewer web page as a rough guide and went with 2 teaspoons into 4ish litres of water.

Bribie,

Pure SP is not a very effective cleaner, so no we don't have any plans to supply it. However, for a well priced alternative to napisan, free of phosphates & scents....you'll have to watch this space ;)

Cheers Ross

Now I'm no chemist by a long shot, but I was of the understanding that phosphates were good in a cleaner. Or is that just in no-rinse sanitisers?

While we are on the topic. I have 2 questions reguarding Sodium precarbonate (in its Napisan form)

Firstly, Is their Going to be any issues using in the average sort of consentration levels if I am to leave it within the fermenter for a month or so ie. until next use.

Secondly, I have three fermenters and a cube full of it atm so about 100L worth, Any issues with using it to water the garden with?

I generally use an accuratly measured metric shittone of sodium percarb in my glass fermenting carboy - about three teaspoons.

Totally overdoing it, but boy does it sparkle afterward.

PBW seems from experience to be better, but in the end it's a cost thing.

Back