How Much Napi San Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
After cleaning my fermenter last night, which I used pbw to do, I was a little upset by how much I was required to use per the instructions on the tub - nearly a quarter of the contents which cost me 14 bucks.

Anyway, I notice a lot of people use unscented napi san. How much per litre do you use for basic fermenter/bottle cleaning applications?

A bit off topic but try looking in the Discount shops, $1 & $2 shops, crazies etc.... for cheaper generic Sodium Percarbonate cleaner
I scored some 35% stuff for $3/KG

I scored some 35% stuff for $3/KG

...about what I pay for the Coles baby-strength (no colours/flavours). My last lot from the Fresh Food People *cough* was $2.49/kg.

I use No-Frills / NoName brand unscented nappy wash which is about $5 per 500g (Looks like I might be being ripped off there from some earlier posts). Just look for active ingredient Sodium Percarbonate, the more the better.
I had a bunch of really filthy bottles (they'd been left outside for ages and were covered in mud and some had slime in them) I used 2 cap fulls per 10L bucket, soaked for a few days and the bottles came up like brand new.
When I cleaned out my fermenter the other day I think I used 2 cap fulls into a 30L fermenter and left a week and it was pristine.

About a cap full of mum's generic home brand napisan and dissolve it in 2lt of boiling hot water works a treat.

After cleaning my fermenter last night, which I used pbw to do, I was a little upset by how much I was required to use per the instructions on the tub - nearly a quarter of the contents which cost me 14 bucks.

Anyway, I notice a lot of people use unscented napi san. How much per litre do you use for basic fermenter/bottle cleaning applications?

hi mate,

1 teaspoon per 2lt. i was told this by another user when i asked a similar question a while back, seems to work for me.

cheerrs
matt

Maybe I've been doin' it wrong, but my understanding was that PBW was pretty strong. I use a tablespoon in a full fermenter, and just leave it overnight.

I know the guy from 5-star chemicals was on a Brewing Network podcast a while back. Can't remember if he also mentioned the concentration of PBW?

Maybe I've been doin' it wrong, but my understanding was that PBW was pretty strong. I use a tablespoon in a full fermenter, and just leave it overnight.

I know the guy from 5-star chemicals was on a Brewing Network podcast a while back. Can't remember if he also mentioned the concentration of PBW?

It says it needs 3/4 an oz per gallon. So if you fill up a 30l fermenter that's several ounces.

I hate to actually say something that is on topic, but...

I tend to get most of whatever I am trying to clean off with water and a brush beforehand, so it is basically clean-ish before I start. I then use just a little shake of powder in some very hot water (unless I'm cleaning glass... duh), make sure everything gets covered - either by soaking or wetting - and let it sit for a while. I will then either brush it again or rinse and go, depending on what happens.

If that doesn't get everything off, I do it again or get the PBW out. I would rather use too little and do it twice than use too much and be discharging loads napisan through my waste system.

I would not prescribe specific amounts, but rather suggest experimentation. Ditto with the PBW.

It says it needs 3/4 an oz per gallon. So if you fill up a 30l fermenter that's several ounces.

Why do you fill the fermenter up to clean it Wally?

sure you`ve heard of a sponge/wipe, brush etc. No need to fill the thing, a couple of litres then a wipe then a rinse, then if need be do it again.

Why do you fill the fermenter up to clean it Wally?

Why wouldn't you? It says it requires 25-35 minutes before you rinse it out so Im assuming that means 25-35 mins of contact time.

I use one of the cheap no-name brands (honestly can't remember which one, it would be either from coles or woolies) and I never measure it, I just tip some in.

At an estimate, I'd say I use a capful in a fermenter, a bit under in a cornie and if I am soaking bottles (which I tend to do in the bathtub) I normally throw in two capfuls and then a squirt of dishwashing liquid (seems to help remove the labels) and fill the bath to around halfway.

Why wouldn't you? It says it requires 25-35 minutes before you rinse it out so Im assuming that means 25-35 mins of contact time.

Isn't that for big commercial stainless steel conical fermenters?

IMO for plastic fermenters I'd never use PBW. Just a bit of napisan with a sponge to scrub the crap off. Napisan for removing soil, sanitiser for sanitation.

I'm the 1 cap full of napisan in a carboy full of water kinda guy.

Leave it till I need it. So at least 24hrs.

You guys have just revolutionised my brewing technique hahaha. I assume you use similar rates when doing cleaning bottles? I got some old pet's donated that have a weird smell so a sanitiser probably wont be enough,..

I brew in 20L Jerry Cans with only a little lid ... so I fill it to the brim (not my fault they keep building apartments and not dams :p ) and add a cap of napisan. 24hours later I let the 20L out through the tap reeming the crap out of that in the process and rinse it out four times with about a liter and a violent shake. Clean as a whistle, no scrubbing.

Best of all no mankey cloths have been in there scratching bacteria housing estates.

You guys have just revolutionised my brewing technique hahaha. I assume you use similar rates when doing cleaning bottles? I got some old pet's donated that have a weird smell so a sanitiser probably wont be enough,..

Yep. I just fill an old fermenter with hot napisan/sodium percarbonate solution. Bottles in. Leave overnight. Rinse well (3 times for me). Ready to be sanitised.

So if I'm going to leave it in there over night I don't need to worry about the poop ring at the top?

A dash, a shake and a fart. If I want to leave the fermenter overnight to soak I'll fill it and reuse the solution. If I'm scrubbing it there and then I just use a couple of litres. I usually boil my water first as the foaming action is great and the solution seems to work better.

Like Nick, I'll fill a cube if I use it - other option is the hot napisan then when it cools, add some raw rice and shake. Does the scrubbing for you.

Because it's a cleaner, not a sanitiser, the correct amount is whatever works. It's like using dishwashing liquid to do your dishes. Who bothers measuring that? Make it foamy, make the water hot, clean away. Maybe I'm odd.

So many ways!! Nick is your peusdo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back