How Much Power is Too Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hey Brewers.

After losing an keg king element for no apparent reason yesterday, I've decided I need more power in the next one. I'm not sure if i should go for a 3000w or a 4000w. I wouldn't mind getting up to boil quicker, but I also don't want to overboard- if that is possible. I do either double batches of 2 20l cubes or singles in 25l cubes in a 56l pot.

Ideas or experience?

Phil

Ideally you want 2 elements.

Have both running to get it up to boil then run 1 when it is at boil./ It takes less energy to keep something boiling than it does to get it to the boil

You will need to make sure your element used to keep the boil is big enough to keep a good rolling boil, not just a simmer. This is very important for break formation

Same thing with gas. Once its up to the boil you can turn some of the burners off to save gas.

If you have way to much power then you can run the risk of scorching the wort. But you need a lot to do that

I do double batches in a 70l pot, with 2X2400W over the side elements. Turn them down to @ 90% via PID during boil, weather dependant.
You will need 2 separate circuits to do this. With a 15 amp circuit you can run 1 3500W element.

I do double batches in a 100L pot and have a 4500W Camco ULWD element. It does a nice rolling boil for the double batch with about 6L/hr boil-off and no scorching.

On the rare occasion I do a single batch I set my PID controller to 80% (On 80% of the time / Off 20%) and it gives me a similar boil-off rate. At 100% it is a bit vigorous.

I think 2x2400W elements would work well if you are frequently swapping between double and single batches, however if you have a PID or variable voltage control I would just go the 1 element, I chose 4500W so I could use a 20A plug back to my control box, if I was setting it up again I would probably go with a 5500W and a 32A plug to speed up the time to get up to a boil, then use the PID to tune the boil off rate.

Fylp said:
Hey Brewers.

After losing an keg king element for no apparent reason yesterday, I've decided I need more power in the next one. I'm not sure if i should go for a 3000w or a 4000w. I wouldn't mind getting up to boil quicker, but I also don't want to overboard- if that is possible. I do either double batches of 2 20l cubes or singles in 25l cubes in a 56l pot.

Ideas or experience?

Phil
There is an apparent reason; those elements are crap! They've had issues from the get go. That being said, due to an upgrade, I've just retired a functioning series II kk element after countless batches bringing the HLT up to mashout temps but the bulges forming in the cord have convinced me not to press my luck.
I've bought a couple of 5star elements. Fit a 32mm hole like the KK but need to be wired by a sparky. They're getting good feedback by a few brewers on here.
I've gone with the 3.6kW option but these will draw around 15a so you need a capable circuit to handle the load.
They also do a 2400W element which would be a suitable replacement if you wish to continue to run off a standard 10a outlet although it's still pushing the limits.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm planning on speaking to my bro in law for sparky advice on power source. My system is pretty ghetto, so I guess a new power supply is taking me out of my original target area for cost and equipment.

At what rating does it jump past 10A?

Fylp said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm planning on speaking to my bro in law for sparky advice on power source. My system is pretty ghetto, so I guess a new power supply is taking me out of my original target area for cost and equipment.
At what rating does it jump past 10A?
2400w on 240v is 10 amps

ohms.png

I = P / V

2400 / 240 = 10

Thanks. 5 star is all out of stock unfortunately. I might have a look around. Rewired the KK today, but I might either replace all the wiring or retire it. Did a quick search and I don't like what I read on them.

Fylp, 5star has the weldless elements in stock just not the guards. The guards are due any day now but you can't have the two I'm waiting for! Maybe try emailing them?

Ducatiboy stu said:

I have used the yes/no pie chart at work, and probably for the wrong reasons, despite the fact that I would cop an absolute roasting from him as he made it for free etc, I find it quite amusing.

The internet is a playground, and sometimes you find lollipops on the ground.......

Camo6 said:
Fylp, 5star has the weldless elements in stock just not the guards. The guards are due any day now but you can't have the two I'm waiting for! Maybe try emailing them?
Will do

So I'm told by a sparky to throw in a 3000w element and run it at 10a for 2400w. Then if I need more power he'll install a 15amp socket when in town at Xmas. I'll still contact 5 star though, I like the look of the guard.

Back