How Much Longer Will We Have Cornies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
We take our Cornelius Kegs very much for granted, but I wonder what the worldwide supply is like? Have we reached Peak Cornie?

So originally post mix syrup was delivered to the bar / counter from Cornies under CO2 pressure, but in recent years this has been superceded by Bag-in-a-box system that sends the syrup to the bar by pumps.
Hundreds of thousands of obsolete Cornies. However they haven't been melted down because they actually have an intrinsic value as a home brew keg, so those recycling companies that have a stash of Cornies realise that instead of melting a Cornie for a dollar in metal value, they can sell it for ten bucks or whatever is the price at the bottom of the food chain before we get our $60 keg. Good, this has actually saved the arses of the existing Cornies which are stacked up in warehouses and dispatched in container loads to the likes of Rosscoe.

Looking at the USA, ten times our population and presumably Cornies all over the place in the old days, cafes, bars, roadhouses, cinemas - masses and masses of the lovely cylinders. I wonder how many, how many have been reborn as home brew kegs and how many are actually left out there? And when we will reach the End of Cornie?

Talking to an old neighbor who worked for coke delivering.

He reckons he can remember full warehouses within Aus stacked to the roof with them, who knows where they are now but there must be a lot stored somewhere.

Kleiny

I know a lot were destroyed, but there are companies making new kegs, so at worst, we will still have them, just at a higher price.

Wonder if I can justify another 4 or 8 kegs to SWMBO under the pretence that they're running out..... Hmmmmm.... ;)

Cheers!

I know a lot were destroyed, but there are companies making new kegs, so at worst, we will still have them, just at a higher price.

Wonder if I can justify another 4 or 8 kegs to SWMBO under the pretence that they're running out..... Hmmmmm.... ;)

Cheers!

I justified it a few years back, but we can keep on doing it...

QldKev

Ross him self was responcable for crushing a few semi trailer loads in a past life .. ,, if only he knew then what he does now .. haha

cheers

I worked part time for a mate at Cadbury Schweppes around 20 years ago (pre homebrew days). I remember he had several dozen cornies behind his garage and he told me they were bound for the tip!! :eek:

Oh for some foresight.

Warren -

I think US supplies are nearly depleted as are Australias.
Aussie keg hunters are importing container loads of second hand cornies from Asia these days

They are still being used here in the USA by a few old timers that either do not sell enough soda to justify converting to the boxes and a new fountain or by people that need pre mix because of portable setups.

And yes, new kegs are for sale if one needs to get a new one.

New stocks of used kegs keep showing up now that the scrappers have found a market for them. When and if they ever run out I am sure home brewers will convert to the sixtel size commercial kegs. Us old timers will keep using our corneys and the new brewers will wonder why we do not switch to the better new style kegs. Every month or so someone will ask what is the best system to use to wash the kegs and what cleaner is best. The same old answers will be given including links to do-it-yourself washing station designs. Some wise guy will just say that is what the search function is for.

They are still being used here in the USA by a few old timers that either do not sell enough soda to justify converting to the boxes and a new fountain or by people that need pre mix because of portable setups.

And yes, new kegs are for sale if one needs to get a new one.

New stocks of used kegs keep showing up now that the scrappers have found a market for them. When and if they ever run out I am sure home brewers will convert to the sixtel size commercial kegs. Us old timers will keep using our corneys and the new brewers will wonder why we do not switch to the better new style kegs. Every month or so someone will ask what is the best system to use to wash the kegs and what cleaner is best. The same old answers will be given including links to do-it-yourself washing station designs. Some wise guy will just say ‘that is what the search function is for’.
sixtel.jpg

Damn, I'll have a useless tap on my 3 tap font :p
They look the goods, though. I wonder if they will ever make it to Australia and how many dollars. Any idea what litres they hold? A sixth of an American Barrel is a bit hard for me this time of the day, maybe later when I've had a few :blink:

They look the goods, though. I wonder if they will ever make it to Australia and how many dollars. Any idea what litres they hold? A sixth of an American Barrel is a bit hard for me this time of the day, maybe later when I've had a few :blink:
US barrel is 31gal so a sixtel would be about the same size as a corny. perhaps slightly bigger?
joe

Publican at the old Port-O-Call hotel Bowral, gave me 3 cornies years back. He moved to the bag in a box system as did the rest. He also told me schweppes were sending their cornies to PNG where schweppes are still using the 'old' system. That was a long time ago though, as the Port was rubble for years, then finally rebuilt into what is now the Imperial.

US barrel is 31gal so a sixtel would be about the same size as a corny. perhaps slightly bigger?
joe

Dont have the numbers in front of me but I think they are just a bit bigger. There is a chart online someplace that has keg data for those that have to know.

Some of the micros used to convert cornys to a standard tap by welding up the lid with a keg spear in it and then plugging or welding up the gas in and out connectors. I only see them in the scrap yard as most have converted to the standard sixtel.

Latest posts

Back