How Much Grain In 10l Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleosaurus cervisiae

Reaction score
Hi All
I've only got a 10L pot and itching to do a partial/BIAB. What is the maximum amount of grain I can (safely) mash/boil in it?
Many thanks

I havent done my first BIAB yet so cant answer that, However not sure if your aware, BigW has the 19L pots for $12 atm... Normally $20?

Maybe 1.5 to 2 kg. Mash amount of water = fill pot within reason.

Refill boil level close to top of pot and watch closely to act against over boil.

10 liter ????

Mate i struggle to cook dinner in a 10 liter pot.

Get a bigger one.

But if you must..... id ay 2kg, with 6 liters of water is going to give you about 8 liters and thats close to full. I guess it would do for a partial.

cheers

2.8 Kg of grain mashing at 2.8L of water per kilo should take up about 9.7L of space, so you would be right at the top, would have to be very careful taking the bag out.

I read somewhere the other day its not a good brew day till you spill some?

I've got a 12L stockpot which wil hold just over 3kg of grain (at 3L per Kg). Just get a 20L one from Big W. The only reason i use a 12L one is because i got it for $3.

Did some experimenting and the reason I like the 10L pot is it fits nicley into the oven, makes it easy to keep the temp constant for mashing. But yeah, it is rather small

1L of grain is around 600g~

with a avg dough in ratio of 3:1 it translates to 1.8L:1L (2.8L total) do your math from there.

10L/2.8 = 3.6~

600g * 3.6 = 2.16KG

1.8*3.6 = 6.48L

;)

That sounds good, perhaps my next question will be how much grain in 19L pot

Up to about 4.5kg. But the efficiency from the last kg is about 40%.

3.5kg in a 19L pot will give you 75% efficiency without any sparging (just squeezing the bag). You'll get close to 85% if you sparge.

Anything under 3.5kg will still get the same efficiency ~75%.

If you mash 3.5kg in 14L, squeeze the bag like buggary and top up to 14L with boiling water, you'll get around 1.053. I often dilute this to about 1.045 in the fermenter.

It's a real easy no-sparge BIAB, and it fills a keg with 15-18L depending on strength.

ATM, I have 10L of IPA in a keg (who says you have to fill them to the top?) done this way with none of the dilution steps - just boiled down to 11L.

It's a pretty versatile method is you don't require big volumes and you want each keg to have a different beer in it.

Just to add to what Nick says, my method is a bit cumbersome and time consuming, especially the sparge step, because you are sparging twice over. It may not suit you.

Having said that, it isn't hard to hit 70%, just squeezing and not sparging.

Given I paid $12 each for my pots, I'm satisfied on a cost/time basis to do a full size in them. I can get 5.5kg split between the two quite comfortably. I bought an esky for a mash tun, but my dodgy DIY skills meant that after 3 batches, I went back to the 2 pot method and have stayed with it.

What I was saying about your 10L pot and colander, and I think this add to what Nick says (about no sparge method) - if you don't have the ability to hoist or strength to hold up 3.5kg + water, then the spare pot and a colander will be great, because you can whack the bag in there, have two (gloved) hands free for a good squeeze and then start the boil. Naturally, some liquor will continue to drain from the bag, through the colander and into the pot, and these runnings can be added back into the boil.

It requires less equipment (if you don't already have it - I don't) and his a good spot where you use the method Nick describes above, whilst not having to hoist, hold or anything to do the squeezing.

Like what was said on another thread - we all have different methods that suit us for different reasons. Find something that works for you from the mountains of (mostly good) advice you will get, and run with that. I think the interesting this is, that there are so many different methods which are all the cross bred american hop versions of BIAB and the stovetop method.

Good luck.

Goomba

I am going to brew a leffe blonde ish clone tomorrow to show my bro in law what $30 biab is all about and was doing some calculations based on Nick's estimates on efficiency over 3.5 kg (two posts above - 40% statement). Don't know if this anywhere else but i calculate the following:

Efficiency
3.5kg @ 75%
4kg @70.6%
4.5kg @66%

without sparging.

I plan to mash 4kg into pot 19l aiming form 14L of brew @ 1.064 ish. I will sparge to gain some points of g and account for losses in volume etc.

Thought i might share just to see what others have experienced with using over 4kg of grain in a 19l pot.

I would agree with Nick's 3.5 kg get 75% efficiency, i usually get at least that.

I used to use an 11L pot for my extract brewing. The most grain I did was around 2.5kgs for a stout but I used to regularly do 1kg base malt and half/1 kg of specialty grains.
I used to mash in the pot and then strain into another pot temporarily.
Once in the strainer I used to do a 'sparge' by rinsing the grains with some water that had been boiled and cooled to around 75C
I cant be bothered looking for it now but if you search for extract brewing I did a big post about it a few years back.

It was quite easy to do this with just my 11L pot and a spare pot and produce some very good beers. My 2.5kg extract/partial stout mentioned above got 4th place in the Nats one year

Once, while doing a triple decoction, I got efficiency in the 90s.

I checked my hydrometer coz I didn't believe it.

Lot of work though. I reckon the sweet spot for volume vs effort vs efficiency in 19L pots is 3.6kg. No sparging (just squeezing) and you get 70%.

Just thought it be interesting to see the drop off in efficiency. Love simultaneously holding and squeezing 10 kg of 65c wort carefully over a boiling pot of more wort.

Back