How Much Does A Single Hop Pellet Weigh ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grab your scales and weigh him a hop pellet then.

Which size hop pellet do you want him to weigh Fents?

A small one, medium, large or one the really big ones? :p

Scott

Didn't mean to start a war ! Sorry peeps !!

Just trying to figure something out and needed help , as i don't have scales right now.

I'm sure im not the only one who has ever been in this situation before or during a brew day.

I've divided the pack before as a guesstimate , maybe next time i'll count them and divide by total weight.

Found some on scales ebay so should be right soon.

Thanks

cL

Count out the hop pellets in your pack. Then divide the hop pack weight (e.g 90g) by the number of pellets, and hey presto. But there are variations.
I was a bit concerned about the accuracy of scales at wieghts of around 10g, so instead of purchasing expensive, reliable scales I balance the hops and desired weight in coins on a steel rule. It's very accurate and doesn't cost me anything. The weight of coins are below, and use different coin combinations to get the desired weight.

Coin
Weight
5 cent
2.83g
10 cent
5.66g
$2
6.6g
$1
9g
20 cent
11.31g
50 cent
15.55g

this might be a dumb idea..take one to your local post office and kindly ask could they weight it..its worth a try

Count out the hop pellets in your pack. Then divide the hop pack weight (e.g 90g) by the number of pellets, and hey presto. But there are variations.
I was a bit concerned about the accuracy of scales at wieghts of around 10g, so instead of purchasing expensive, reliable scales I balance the hops and desired weight in coins on a steel rule. It's very accurate and doesn't cost me anything. The weight of coins are below, and use different coin combinations to get the desired weight.

Coin
Weight
5 cent
2.83g
10 cent
5.66g
$2
6.6g
$1
9g
20 cent
11.31g
50 cent
15.55g
Awesome Mahony ! Thanks heaps.

cL

this might be a dumb idea..take one to your local post office and kindly ask could they weight it..its worth a try

You could take it to one of those truck weighing stations. Weigh the truck, then put the hop pellet in your pocket and weigh the truck again.

Instead of all of the smart-ass replies - maybe somebody could help the original poster ???? I have often thought the same thing - that it would be easier tio just count the Pellets rather than weigh them.

Take your point BUT.....

I think we established the answer after the 4th post.....nothing wrong with having a bit of fun is there?

:blink:

instead of driving all the way to the post office and feeling like a retard, drive to kmart, woolies, bigw, even your local grocery shop and spend 15-20 bucks on some scales ffs

I balance the hops and desired weight in coins on a steel rule. It's very accurate and doesn't cost me anything. The weight of coins are below, and use different coin combinations to get the desired weight.

Coin
Weight
5 cent
2.83g
10 cent
5.66g
$2
6.6g
$1
9g
20 cent
11.31g
50 cent
15.55g

now that is even dumber

:blink:

instead of driving all the way to the post office and feeling like a retard, drive to kmart, woolies, bigw, even your local grocery shop and spend 15-20 bucks on some scales ffs

They've got scales at Woolies in the veggie section. No need to buy any, just nip into Woolies, and weigh out all your hop additions on the scales next to the Onions...

Orange Tic Tacs are 0.49grams,
hold the tic tac in your left hand, and the hop pellet in your right and see how close they are
unless your left handed then you need to hold the tic tac in your right hand and hop in the left.

Im not 100% sure, but i reakon that weighing a single hop pellet and working your hop additions out based on that............May just result in your "Brews allways tasting like Homebrew"

I would imagine asking aussie post if you can weigh out small, green aromatic plant material that they would not only graciously offer to help, but also graciously ask the local police if they can give you a free ride and a place to stay for the night ;)

I would imagine asking aussie post if you can weigh out small, green aromatic plant material that they would not only graciously offer to help, but also graciously ask the local police if they can give you a free ride and a place to stay for the night ;)

Why's that then, have the police got more accurate scales?

It's quite simple really.

Put that hop pellet (unlike some of these other comments, this method isn't affected by pellet size variation) in your mouth, chew it really well, but make sure not to swallow any.

Now, estimate the number of IBU's in your mouth, and divide that by the %AA (alpha acid) stated on the hop pack, multiplied by 100.

Foolproof, no scales required.

It's quite simple really.

Put that hop pellet (unlike some of these other comments, this method isn't affected by pellet size variation) in your mouth, chew it really well, but make sure not to swallow any.

Now, estimate the number of IBU's in your mouth, and divide that by the %AA (alpha acid) stated on the hop pack, multiplied by 100.

Foolproof, no scales required.

Giving away all your secrets :p

Back