How Much Does A Single Hop Pellet Weigh ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
I tried to get a hold of a digital scale for weighing hops from China online but they are out of stock.

Not have an accurate weighing method is a bit of a disaster for bittering/flavouring/aroma of wort , so this leads me to my question.

Does anyone know the approx. weight of a Single Hop Pellet ?

I know they are probably not a standard size worldwide but maybe someone else in Melbs who buys them from G+G can help me out ?

cheers

cL

I just use a cheap mechanical kitchen scale that you can buy from the supermarket similar to this:

361005.jpg

But before I even had that I used to do a pretty rough guess-timate by dividing a 90g packet of hops roughly in half. Then halving both those piles and then you know that each pile is roughly 22.5g. You can do further guesswork to adjust to your recipe but a few grams here and there really isn't going to affect the taste (or even bitterness) too much IMO.

Hope that helps.

www.dealextreme.com get yourself some jewlery scales. perfect for hops!

as for the weight of one hop pellet. how longs a piece of string, they are all different sizes so its difficult to guess. you would be better off diving the whole packet of pre-weighed hops equally to get closer to what you need.

a set of digital scales from woolies wont set you back more than $15..... seems like a reasonable buy to me.

I tried to get a hold of a digital scale for weighing hops from China online but they are out of stock.

Not have an accurate weighing method is a bit of a disaster for bittering/flavouring/aroma of wort , so this leads me to my question.

I know they are probably not a standard size worldwide but maybe someone else in Melbs who buys them from G+G can help me out ?

cheers

cL

You can't be serious asking such a question; have a look at all the different sized hop pellets in the bag.

Would you also like me to weigh one grain of malt while I'm there?

Go get some scales from KMart or BigW.

QldKev

Awesome range and prices Fourstar... are they okay to deal with? Have been looking for something with that kind of acuracy for a while.

:icon_cheers: ...good site. Funny 'cos I just jumped on the computer to buy new digital scales and that took ALL the work out of it. Cheers. Quickest buy ever...

I have had no scales in the past. If you take the amount of know hops you have and divide them into equal piles, you should be able to make them amount you want. 100 grams in half equals two piles of 50. Then take one of the 50g piles and divide them... and so on. I weighed the remainder of the hops later and found I was one gram out.

Awesome range and prices Fourstar... are they okay to deal with? Have been looking for something with that kind of acuracy for a while.

awesome to deal with, prompt delivery and the products havnt failed me yet. Got a killer pocket flashlight form them too on my last buy! Quite powerful!

The only issue ive had with my scales recently is the old rechargable batteries im using (two years), they seem to drain pretty quick but i doubt thats a problem with the scales themselves.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15002

look on ebay..plenty of digital scales...i just bought one for $10 does up to 1000g x 0.1g

If they're good enough for cocaine, they're good enough for hops.

off ya tree sells scales to lol.

If they're good enough for cocaine, they're good enough for hops.

If you are dealing you wouldn't make your own beer........you would have enough cash to buy the best imports and micro's!!!! :D

cheers

cL

Instead of all of the smart-ass replies - maybe somebody could help the original poster ???? I have often thought the same thing - that it would be easier tio just count the Pellets rather than weigh them.

OK, my dealer friend uses a balance...

Could you not whip one of these up out of wood and string?

balance.jpg

1 cc of water weighs 1 gram
37 cc's of water weighs 37 grams,

don't put hops and water in the same cup.

Instead of all of the smart-ass replies - maybe somebody could help the original poster ???? I have often thought the same thing - that it would be easier tio just count the Pellets rather than weigh them.

The problem is there is no standard size hop pellet. After they're dried they're broken apart, not cut into pieces. So no two are alike.

Back