How Much Copper Tube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Why have a coil at all?

For my pre-chiller I have about a 1.0m length of 6 inch PVC pipe with a permanent cap at one end and a full bore screw on cap at the other end. On each cap there is a 1/2 BSP fitting to which I fit a couple of those SS braided washing machine hoses; one hose to the sink tap and the other hose to the chiller.

After I have chilled the wort down to a reasonable temperature using tap water only, i fill the PVC pipe with ice and connect the hoses. As water flows through the PVC tube, it goes over the ice, and out the other hose, straight into the immersion chiller, the water comes out ice cold.

Mind you, the ice will melt a bit faster this way as there is water touching the ice which is touching the PVC pipe, but still works very well. You still end up using a bag of ice either method.

I'll post a piccie when i get home.

Cheers,

Rob

That sounds like a really great idea. would love a pic.

Ask and ye shall receive. That's the pre-chiller on the right. The tap water enters at the bottom, flows over the ice to the top and exits near freezing out the hose at the top.

prechiller.jpg

That sounds like a really great idea. would love a pic.

Hi guys,

Why have a coil at all?

For my pre-chiller I have about a 1.0m length of 6 inch PVC pipe with a permanent cap at one end and a full bore screw on cap at the other end. On each cap there is a 1/2 BSP fitting to which I fit a couple of those SS braided washing machine hoses; one hose to the sink tap and the other hose to the chiller.

After I have chilled the wort down to a reasonable temperature using tap water only, i fill the PVC pipe with ice and connect the hoses. As water flows through the PVC tube, it goes over the ice, and out the other hose, straight into the immersion chiller, the water comes out ice cold.

Mind you, the ice will melt a bit faster this way as there is water touching the ice which is touching the PVC pipe, but still works very well. You still end up using a bag of ice either method.

I'll post a piccie when i get home.

Cheers,

Rob

How long does it run cold for?

Don't really know, as as far as I can remember, I always end up with a sink full of ice at the end of the brew (excess). I reckon you'd get a good 45 minutes at the proper flow.

The key is to have the flow creep along such that it's coming out not too cold (it's too late in the evening to calculate the best temperature, otherwise I would). If it's too fast, yes the immersion chiller is cooler inside the kettle meaning that it's "working" harder, but it is a less efficient use of the ice which will melt faster.

How long does it run cold for?

Back