How Many Ways To Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main type of brewing

• Kit & Kilo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kits & Bits or Toucan

• Extract

• Partial

• All Grain normal

• All grain BIAB

• Total voters

Brewtus

#beerbackhome
Reaction score
Just thought I would do a quiz thingy to see what percentage of this site used what methods to brew.

The "All Grain - Norma"l tag is going to make some people on this site unhappy :unsure:

As long as the All-grain "abnormal" vote without prejudice, we might end up with a pretty interesting poll though. Perhaps nothing that Today Tonight will jump on, but I'll be watching...!

The "All Grain - Norma"l tag is going to make some people on this site unhappy :unsure:
I don't mean to offend anyone. There is no preferred name I know of. Maybe I should have put 'traditional'

I don't mean to offend anyone. There is no preferred name I know of. Maybe I should have put 'traditional'

Yeah traditional probably would have been better but I don't think it is really a big deal.
I BIAB, NC and a host of others, wen I have more bits and pieces I would like to try a traditional set up as well.

Only new to all grain thanks to this site, BIAB and NC!

OK...so I AG "Normal"(whatever that is!?!?!), BUT....I also have a bag AND false bottom in my mash tun...on a HERMS. The false bottom didnt quite perform as expected..

Got to love being outside the square...

OK...so I AG "Normal"(whatever that is!?!?!), BUT....I also have a bag AND false bottom in my mash tun...on a HERMS. The false bottom didnt quite perform as expected..

Got to love being outside the square...

There is a limit to how many questions the pole software allows. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable AGers could do a pole on AG methods.

I hope it doesn't turn out that All Grainers are all groaners :p

Still on the kit + malt + hops + better yeast route here, next step I want to try is steeping some grain to add some additional flavour and body. Can't go the AG route until I've built my shed, I already get enough questions about the amount of gear I have for brewing ;)

Last few batches for me have been partials

I Put down a wheat beer on friday, and i was almost positive i didnt mash the wheat and pilsner malts properly because it was such a light coloured wort which i got from them, but once a little boilover happened, and the stove got all sticky, i knew it was a-okay ;)

And that is my exciting story for the day

Sponge

Woah! Poll central!
I dabble in a bit of everything when it comes to which method I use...experimentation plays a big part... but I like to think i'm a partial man this days.

im a kits and bits bloke but want to step into the all grain i will wait till a course come up at the uni again but if someone in S.A wants to show me how its done :party :beer: : i will give them a hand for sure

im a kits and bits bloke but want to step into the all grain i will wait till a course come up at the uni again but if someone in S.A wants to show me how its done :party :beer: : i will give them a hand for sure

you just need too update profile, am sure heaps of s.a`s will help

Used to do AG in the UK about 30 years ago. In those days it was simple and all you needed were 3 fairly inexpensive vessels:

A Burco boiler which very many households had before the advent of auto washing machines, but nowadays used mostly by the catering trade - still available.

A 5 gallon white fermenter basically the same as we have today.

A 5 gallon pressure barrel

Method:

Heat mash water in Burco. Add grains and then mash. Burco has temperature dial. You needed a false bottom and brew shops in those days would sell you one for a Burco.

Sparge and drain into 5 gallon fermenter

Discard grains and drain the sweet wort back into Burco with hop flowers (not pellets because you need to create a filter layer)

turn up the dial and Boil

Strain through hop bed back into fermenter

Ferment

Rack into Pressure Barrel and prime. Note that the pressure barrels come with a CO2 injector which takes sparklets bulbs. It's designed to keep a blanket of CO2 over the beer.

Mature for a week or so (talking about pom bitter styles here)

Drink.

Simple. However until such a simple and compact system is available in Aus I will continue to do Kits and additives and maybe a bit of partial mashing. However the UK system is really geared towards lightly carbonated top fermenting draught style pom ales and probably wouldn't transfer too well to lagers.

Edit: note that the Pressure Barrel is around $45 our money. If they were available here I'd snap up a few right now - ideal for stouts and dark ales etc. In my Bedsitter in Cardiff it just sat in the corner of the room within easy drinking distance :icon_cheers: :p

I hope it doesn't turn out that All Grainers are all groaners :p

Little Squares and I will be in Canberra from the 11th of July, so you and I can sit over a few pints and see if AGers are All Groaners and discuss brewing methods ;) :D

Yes its an invite for a catch up and drink, nothing more

once again read the smilies into the message

Thanks for the invite. I will PM you closer to the day went I know if I will be in town.

how many ways to brew? Well, work out the total number of brewers and multiply by a random number greater than 2. Or, in short, ask two different brewers and get three different answers.
Extract brewing here, moving to AG if my twin faults of perfectionism and "never pay retail" attitude can reach some compromises.

Did kit and kilo 8 years ago, never liked the stuff.
Since the explosion in WA of microbreweries I became interested in HB again.
I started with kit and bits and working it out myself about 3 months ago. I found this site and others like it and got interested in AG, but I'm still organising the equipment.
I did my first all extract today, just to get rid of the DME I have. Hopefully I am set up for AG in a month or so, all thanks to AHB (and BBR) :D

It seems, now the results have settled (140 vote when this was posted), 7 out of 10 Brewers are AG and 1 in 10 of AGs brew in a bag.

Over half the brewers here have converted to AG after discovering this site. It goes to show how well the site works in giving people the confidence and enthusiasm to try AG brewing

Glad wrap on the fermenter has only taken off with 30 out of 140 or 21%.

I didn't think to add kegging as an option so the racking and bulk priming stats don't mean as much.

No chill has captured the imagination of 45% but chilling is still thrilling about 55% (AG + BIAB + Partials + Exctracts - No Chill) This assumes Kit brews don't need to chill.

Of the 30% non AG, there is only 5% who follow the instructions on the can. Seems reasonable as people who would subscribe to this site what to do more with their brewing.

Thanks everyone for voting.

Back