How Many Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteoz77

Reaction score
OK, so I have been kegging for over 2 years, and I should really know this, but my last tank didn't last as long as I thought it would so....

Does anyone know how many kegs can be pressurised and served off of a 4.5kg C02 bottle? I reckon I have done about a dozen, and the bottle is very low. Not sure if I will get maybe 2 more charges and pours from it.

Does that seem reasonable, or have I maybe developed a leak?

Sounds like a leak. I get approx 24 months use out of a 9kg bottle and it charges and dispenses approx 40-50 kegs in that time. I never turn off the gas.

Well, it was parially full when I got it, and I have filled it 3 times in 2 years. I have made and served around 120 Kegs in that time.. so at least 30-35 kegs per fill (now that I do the math)

OK, so I have been kegging for over 2 years, and I should really know this, but my last tank didn't last as long as I thought it would so....

Does anyone know how many kegs can be pressurised and served off of a 4.5kg C02 bottle? I reckon I have done about a dozen, and the bottle is very low. Not sure if I will get maybe 2 more charges and pours from it.

Does that seem reasonable, or have I maybe developed a leak?

i get close to what Newguy gets with mykegonlegs 4.5kg. My 1st bottle lasted 35 batches! Thats force carb, dispensing, purging kegs, drying wet lines etc! :eek: Although i am a gas tightarse, i turn the bottle off after every pour once it equalises. :p

I'm using about 110g per keg to gas up and dispense. Allow extra if you want to clean your lines, use C02 for filtering, purge headspaces, etc.

edit: Looks like fourstar has averaged about 128g per keg

QldKev

According to the trade a 2.6kg bottle should be enough gas to carb and dispense 180 litres of beer. Dunno if that can help you do the math for a 4.5kg one. I'm hopeless at it.

Source of info:Keg King Specs

Hopper.

edit: Looks like fourstar has averaged about 128g per keg

QldKev

Pretty good stats either way. I'm happy for even 30 batches to get me through a bottle. @ $1.67 a batch its quite fair.

Check for leaks in anycase!

Remove all Gas QD's from the kegs, then dump the gas branch into a bucket of water with the gas on. Then check for bubbles!

That is my method anyway :D

Check for leaks in anycase!

Remove all Gas QD's from the kegs, then dump the gas branch into a bucket of water with the gas on. Then check for bubbles!

That is my method anyway :D

GOOD POINT!

I'll do that tonight, I also have to check 3X T's and my other gas connections, but I think I do have a leak somewhere...

Although every single one of my connects is a barbed fitting with a good clamp crimped on....

i get close to what Newguy gets with mykegonlegs 4.5kg. My 1st bottle lasted 35 batches! Thats force carb, dispensing, purging kegs, drying wet lines etc! :eek: Although i am a gas tightarse, i turn the bottle off after every pour once it equalises. :p

Are you serious, Fourstar?
Shit, I better check my system for leaks and record how many kegs I get out of my 9kg bottle. Roughly once a year I have to refill, and that would about 35-40, 19 litre kegs. :unsure: I consider myself to be a Co2 tightarse too...

Back