How Many Jelly Beans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got some black jelly beans and was after some info from people who have used them to prime bottles.
How many jelly beans are needed per bottle and how many jelly beans = 1 carb drop?
Weird question I know, it's for a stout.
Cheers.

Hi all,
I've got some black jelly beans and was after some info from people who have used them to prime bottles.
How many jelly beans are needed per bottle and how many jelly beans = 1 carb drop?
Weird question I know, it's for a stout.
Cheers.

Girl in our club did the same to her stout. She used one for a stubbie and two for a longneck. It was very nice.
Cheers
Steve

Edit. She did say it took longer to carb up than normal sugar probably because the bean had to break down first. Come to think of it I think she may have used black jelly babies in some too with the same quantities. Babies would be quicker to break down I reckon?

one for a stubbie and two for a longneck.
Sounds right.

Only did this once in the early early days of brewing and didnt get to drink it as it was infected :angry:

Try a couple of bottles with Chickos ILO and let us know the result.

Cheers

Sully

Thanks guys, I went with chikos, the specs on the back of the pack show that they have about 1/2 the sugar of drops and they both weigh 4g so I went with 3 chikos per bottle.
Should be 3/4 the carbination of what 2 drops gives so should be just rught in a stout.
Cheers.

Maybe chopping them into smaller pieces with a sanitised pair of scissors would speed up the breakdown process...?

I had an Ale from my LHBS recently that recommended a black jellybean in each bottle, but I kegged it instead...

2c.

Latest posts

Back