How Many Hydrometers Have You Busted?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many hydrometers have you busted?

• 3 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• none

• Total voters
I've broken about 4 all up - again I think they suicided - well all except the one that I was absent-mindedly holding the thin part and tapping on the edge of the sink - oh, and the one that dropped out of the bottom of the tube because I turned it upside down after I put the hydrometer into it etc......

There's a certain LHBS owner at Botany who still asks me if I need another one each time I go in there :D

Things have got better though since I got a refractometer - let's just wait and see how long it lasts :eek:

Trev

I've broken 2 . Typical leaving round object on sloping surface/rolls off onto floor stuff.

The Batz refractometer gets SPECIAL care and attention!

Cheers

Batz,
I can do better. I still have mine from 1969 and now I just know that the beer gods will punish me for crowing. I will drop it before sunset!

Tony M said:
I can do better. I still have mine from 1969 and now I just know that the beer gods will punish me for crowing. I will drop it before sunset!
Mate, I am surprised the world standard for specific gravity hasn't been changed in that time to make your hydrometer obsolete - we had only switched currencies 3 years before.

I was gonna ask you to take a dig photo and post it but I know what will happen while you are setting up for the photo. :blink:

I hadn't broken a hydrometer until the day I was standing there with a pretty expensive one in my hand, telling a guy that I had never broken one , when it snapped in half. I thought that would do, but went home and broke another. Then I dropped a spirit thermometer. Next day I got a box full of Hydrometers with a busted one included!
Cheers
Gerard

Sosman,
Photo as requested

P1040007.JPG

It even comes in its only little casket, as though it expects to be broken.

I have one just like that Tony... picked it up from the father of a mate who used to brew way back, but no longer does. I love the compact design, and hope that I can get many years more service out of it.

dreamboat

Posting a picture to show us all how you have not broken this little treasure? :unsure: :unsure:

I once told everyone how good glass carboys were , many said they where to easy to smash , no you just have to be careful I said , had mine for ages.

See " glass carboy thread"

Picture shows what happened the next day I touched it

I hope your hydrometer lives a long and happy life :unsure:

Batz

You're a ******* Sosman. I've had my hydrometer since 1987 and now I'll probably break it on Thursday when I put my next brew down! <_<

- Snow

2- 1 got the thin end tapped against a empty bottle too hard, the other just rolled off the table. Why don't they make a hexagonal or triangular "no roll" version?

I was lucky, last week mine rolled off the bench onto the concrete floor, it was in a tube and it survived.

Add one more casualty to the list, on Saturday night. Hydrometer flask full of APA, too close to a precariously-balanced pot on top of a pile of washed dishes in the dishrack.
:blink:
The wind must have turned and the beautiful cascade of the pot crashing to the floor and tumbling the hydrometer and flask with it, breaking the glass tube into micropieces and spilling the APA sample on the floor. Some brief, yet choice, swear- words and it was all over bar the cleanup. :angry:

Time to rack the APA and clean the fermentor for my first porter (mini-mash). Recultured the yeast from the Coke beer. London 1028. :beerbang:

One more 4 the road...
Seth

I smashed a thermometer on the weekend, rolled off the bench while i was picking up a pot of hot wort. Had to just stand there and watch it.

Ray_Mills said:
Hi
I have had mine for 7 years till last month when Scotty borrowed it and it came back in two pieces.
I hate that.
Ray
[post="40529"][/post]​

Sorry Ray, I could not resist it. Is that called single cell division or is it mutation.?

:beer:

Peter Shane said:
Ray_Mills said:
Hi
I have had mine for 7 years till last month when Scotty borrowed it and it came back in two pieces.
I hate that.
Ray
[post="40529"][/post]​

Sorry Ray, I could not resist it. Is that called single cell division or is it mutation.?

:beer:
[post="52711"][/post]​

Mitosis, they tell me...

S :p

I lost another hydrometer last week to the beer gods too.
Went into my brew shed and whilst reaching for the light switch heard a crunch under foot. How the hell I got from up on top of the fridge next to the TV to the floor I'll be dammed.
Needless to say Gerard made yet another hydrometer sale to me :lol:

Doc

Every year at the nationals, maybe a virgin hydrometer should be sacrificed to appease the beer gods.

None up until last Wednesday night. And isn't it always the way - I was doing so well until it came up in discussion with some fellow brewers. Within a couple of days, smash. Damn!!! Have considered the conversion to a refractometer, but really don't see $75 value in it.

Latest posts

Back