How Much For A New Hydrometer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer, so I needed to replace it.
The ones at the LHBS were $20, but they didn't look as good as the the one I broke, and being glass I would inevitably break them also. What could I do? I went to Kmart and bought a plastic Coopers one, that came with a fermenter, a spoon, a tube, 30 PET bottles, a can of goo and some other stuff...
Well, obviously no use having an extra FV if it isn't being used. That would be wasteful, right? And not much point using it if temperatures can't be controlled. So, another STC 1000 has been ordered, terminal block and extension cords purchased, reptile heating cord ordered, 2nd hand 'fridge paid for (haven't broken the news to SWMBO yet about another 'fridge)...
About $185 for a placcy hydrometer so far. :rolleyes:

I really like my refract. I got it from ebay for about $30 delivered.
No matter what people say about the accuracy, you can adjust them.
For the little bit extra, you have something that won't break as easily and will use less samples.

A refractometer from ebay would have been much cheaper, just saying...

Mick

Spork, I like the way you think. Careful not to break that hydrometer again B) ;)

why didnt you look for a free or cheap fridge that takes 2 fermenters?? I have 2 fridges one can take 2 fermenters the other a fermenter and a cube that way you can still have 1 temp controller but have 2 beers brewing of coarse if both are ales or both lagers or a ale and swiss lager yeast. notto can go down to 14 degrees I have heard it can survive 12 but you would have to pitch 2 packs. so there are yeasts that you can use so you can brew lagers and ales at the same time

Kelbygreen, the 'fridge was $30. I though that was cheap... Just not sure SWMBO will be happy with me having 2 beer fridges. It prob. will fit 2 fermenters, or at least 1 + a cube, but I want to keep the 150 litre chest freezer I'm already using to give me the option of crash chilling or of fermenting / conditioning @ 2 different temperatures, ie: a larger in one and an ale (or 2) in the other. SWMBO has told me to get my beer and bottles out of the lounge, so hopefully I can justify the 2nd 'fridge to her that way.

Mick, Have been tempted to get a refractometer, and may eventually do so, but I broke my hydrometer on Thurs night and had planned on bottling on Friday, but wanted to make sure I wasn't making bottle bombs, hence the "need" to replace it quickly.

;)

yeah I understand was cheap enough. I got a free fridge (holds 1 FV and a cube) got a $30 fridge like you holds 2 FV and got a chest freezer holds 4 kegs $50 all with STC 1000 temp controllers. I also break hydrometers (and thermometers) a bit so you just gotto learn to be careful. dont hold them in your hand while turning the fermenter tap on (fail!), dont place them on a bbq that slants one way (fail twice!!), try not to drop them (fail twice again!). I just got given a hydrometer that looks to be older then I am so that one will only be used if one breaks on brew day. even has original packaging and all lol the old guy must of looked after his! oh and is still perfectly calibrated to the one I have now

yeah I understand was cheap enough. I got a free fridge (holds 1 FV and a cube) got a $30 fridge like you holds 2 FV and got a chest freezer holds 4 kegs $50 all with STC 1000 temp controllers. I also break hydrometers (and thermometers) a bit so you just gotto learn to be careful. dont hold them in your hand while turning the fermenter tap on (fail!), dont place them on a bbq that slants one way (fail twice!!), try not to drop them (fail twice again!). I just got given a hydrometer that looks to be older then I am so that one will only be used if one breaks on brew day. even has original packaging and all lol the old guy must of looked after his! oh and is still perfectly calibrated to the one I have now

Don't leave a hydrometer in the draining rack, then don't put your brew kettle on your spare

Then when you buy a swanky lab grade one, don't drop it into the sample jar and break the bulb the very same night! Doh

Kelbygreen, the 'fridge was $30. I though that was cheap... Just not sure SWMBO will be happy with me having 2 beer fridges. It prob. will fit 2 fermenters, or at least 1 + a cube, but I want to keep the 150 litre chest freezer I'm already using to give me the option of crash chilling or of fermenting / conditioning @ 2 different temperatures, ie: a larger in one and an ale (or 2) in the other. SWMBO has told me to get my beer and bottles out of the lounge, so hopefully I can justify the 2nd 'fridge to her that way.

Mick, Have been tempted to get a refractometer, and may eventually do so, but I broke my hydrometer on Thurs night and had planned on bottling on Friday, but wanted to make sure I wasn't making bottle bombs, hence the "need" to replace it quickly.

;)

Totally worth it, Cheers Mick

lol sure there is 10001 ways to break a hydrometer :p

I seriously have had the same hydrometer since I started brewing- around 9 years! I didn't realise the black 'stuff' in the bottom was lead balls until I joined AHB :lol:
Sounds like you did pretty well, Spork!

My Hydo is over 20 years old. And was drying in the dish rack today when a visitor said I was pushing my luck leaving it there. I had to agree, but that is what I always do.

But I reckon once it breaks well... I will just have to go shopping, and who knows what sort of "free" things get thrown in when you have to buy a new Hydro? They aren'y cheap, right?

Fear.

i had ahorror run a while back, I back 3 hydro's in about a week.
One of them I only took 1 reading, slid it back into the tube and the arse fell out.

Now have a fair dinkum, full on, ducks guts, plastic one from a coopers kit, Ive dropped it a few times, but the fucker hasnt broke,
gotta love quality chinese tough glass.....er I mean... :icon_cheers:

$20 for a hydrometer? You Aussies are nucking futs. At those prices theres no way I could afford to brew in Australia. Much less drink at all.

$6 at my LHBS.

+1 to the refractometer.

But man, an extra brew fridge to back up the brew fridge does sounds awesome. I envy the OP.

P.S. can anyone say "thread bump"?

The best value hydrometers that i've found are from Aquarium shops, about 10 bucks - they dont have all the wine making scale on them, so easier to read, but they do only go up to 1060, but you can safely estimate up to about 1070...they even have a built in thermometer, so perfect for brewing.

$20 for a hydrometer? You Aussies are nucking futs. At those prices theres no way I could afford to brew in Australia. Much less drink at all.

$6 at my LHBS.

+1 to the refractometer.

But man, an extra brew fridge to back up the brew fridge does sounds awesome. I envy the OP.

P.S. can anyone say "thread bump"?

Yeah the prices are nuts, but I bet you dont pay $40 for a carton of swill.

Update on the you beaut coopers placcy hydrometer:
Used it today to check FG on my fast fermentation specimen.
Kids had used all the hot water.
Rinsed hydro with boiled water from kettle. No probs. Did same with the tube it came in that is also used as a sample tube for doing reading - fkn thing melted. :(
I did get it straightened out enough to use, but it is now shorter than it was too.
Have had my 2nd fridge for a couple days now. SWMBO hasn't said anything. Maybe she hasn't noticed it yet. It will only fit one FV, so I don't reckon I'll be getting another Coopers kit to replace the placcy test tube etc. this time...
Hanging out for my lizard warmer and STC 1000 to get here. :)

$6 at my LHBS.
Mate,
Don't forget , the minimum wage is alot higher in Australia

Our population is 20/300 = 6% of yours = much lower volumes.

Perhaps the proportion of brewers over there is also higher.

The same applies to prices of cars, clothes, white goods, etc.

I would say common tech stuff is about the same or cheaper here though from my experience.

Oh ffs. I broke my "unbreakable" placcy hydrometer. I only just got 2nd temp controller set up yesterday. At this stage I think a 3rd fermenter kit complete with brewing fridge might be a marriage breaker. :(
At least the placcy hydrometer is fixable with some glue. Check accuracy in distilled water and go from there. Ordered a refractometer from ebay anyway. Figure why waste 100ml's on testing gravity when I can do it with 3 drops.

Does anyone make a stainless steel hydrometer for clumsy freckers like me?

Latest posts

Back