How many FG points does an increased mash temp add?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

A bit of an open question I know but I've been struggling recently to bring my FG level down, regardless of the recipe it seems to be sitting at 1.016-1.020. I re calibrated my thermometer and found that I'd been using the wrong adjustments and most of my recent brews have been about 3C over on the mash temp. As an example I recently brewed a porter which finished at 1.020 despite being in the fermenter for 10 weeks (slight time issue involving new born babies....).

So how many FG points would an increase in temp like this add? I know it probably depends on a lot of issues but any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Zarniwoop

Yeah lots of factors at play - gravity, yeast strain, health and numbers, mineral content and pH level of wort and beer, fermentation schedule, mash schedule and ingredients.

In the case of your porter, a high level of roast can add to fg as might your mash temp.
Too many unknowns to whack a meaningful figure on it though.

A few years ago when Rob was developing BrewMate I asked if it would be useful to link the mash temperature spin box with the FG text box and he more or less said what Manticle just said.
In my Mild Ale brewing career I found that mashes over 69 degrees using UK base malts then going straight to mash out would give me over 1020 FG.

What the others said above but I think by brewing with a temp 3 degrees cooler than what you have been will bring the gravity down maybe 3-5 points

In my experience the diff between mashing the same maltbill at 64 and 69 gave a variance of 4 or 5 points in the FG using the same yeast strain and pitch rate, fermented at the same temp. What ratio of your maltbill is made up of dextrinous malts such as cara or crystal. These will have a marked effect on FG

Back