How Long Would A Primary Last On The Yeast Cake?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickpc

Reaction score
I am running short of kegs, and wondering how long a brew will last on its yeast cake, I figure if I can get four weeks out of it I can work the kegs out.

Do-able?

Cheers and beers Mick

Personally I'd rack it but I know that seems unpopular these days. Racked to secondary, I wouldn't have a problem with that amount of time at all.

Personally ive only gotten 4 weeks max out of a primary and even that was oo long the brew got a white film over it and tasted very sour. unfortuanately ive not had much luck with secondary either. Good luck

J

How long has it been brewing? Is it in its first week at the moment?

I am thinking 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks chilled (eg 2-4degC). Do you have a normal fridge that you can whack the fermenter into? This will keep it A-OK! :) (such an 80's saying...).....& make sure to check if fermentation has stopped before you chill - hydrometer

If not then consider racking if you are familiar with this, otherwise cross your fingers and 4 weeks should be fine, 3 would be better if you dont have any chilling available to use.

I am running short of kegs, and wondering how long a brew will last on its yeast cake, I figure if I can get four weeks out of it I can work the kegs out.

Do-able?

Cheers and beers Mick

I've gone 4 weeks in a pinch. I wouldn't want to go any longer than that though. 3 weeks is probably better. I would follow Manticle's advice and rack to secondary.

I regularly leave my brews in the fermenter for 5 or 6 weeks, but taste regularly towards the end (I generally leave them in the fermenter until the yeast cleans up). If its under temp control, I can't see the harm in leaving it longer.

I seem to recall JP discussing this in the fermentation brew strong episode where he said that even months would be okay (the context of the discussion was around the need for racking off the yeast). Might be worth listening to the show if you can track it down.

What style of beer is it & do you mean 4 weeks AFTER fermentation has ceased or 4 weeks in total?

I regularly leave my brews in the fermenter for 5 or 6 weeks, but taste regularly towards the end (I generally leave them in the fermenter until the yeast cleans up). If its under temp control, I can't see the harm in leaving it longer.

I seem to recall JP discussing this in the fermentation brew strong episode where he said that even months would be okay (the context of the discussion was around the need for racking off the yeast). Might be worth listening to the show if you can track it down.

This is where I differ from current thinking. For my beers only you understand but some beers that I haven't racked around 3/4 through ferment, even if they've clarified beautifully with bugger all sediment have had a noticeable yeastiness in the finish that I don't like.

Certainly JP's first version of HTB suggests he believes all beers benefit from a secondary fermentation in a separate vessel. I'll check my printed version later and see if he's changed his mind at that point.

There's a difference between OK and optimum too but as so many people claim there is no difference it might just be me.

This is where I differ from current thinking. For my beers only you understand but some beers that I haven't racked around 3/4 through ferment, even if they've clarified beautifully with bugger all sediment have had a noticeable yeastiness in the finish that I don't like.

Certainly JP's first version of HTB suggests he believes all beers benefit from a secondary fermentation in a separate vessel. I'll check my printed version later and see if he's changed his mind at that point.

There's a difference between OK and optimum too but as so many people claim there is no difference it might just be me.

Yeh, I've noticed the yeastiness too Manticle (hence the constant tasting towards the end). I'm sure that both JP and Jamil have now done away with the secondary (here is a post from Jamil discussing it).

Only reason I rack now is if I'm using gelatine and don't want it in the keg.

Latest posts

Back