How long to force carb a cold beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I know shaking the hell out of a keg makes u loose proteins from the beer. Last thing I would want is to loose taste cause I was shaking the keg.
No need to shake the hell out of it - just upend a few times or roll back and forth with the foot and watch the pressure drop as the CO2 is absorbed. Where did you hear that about the proteins incidentally? You do not lose flavour from carbing a beer this way.

mrsupraboy said:
From what I know shaking the hell out of a keg makes u loose proteins from the beer. Last thing I would want is to loose taste cause I was shaking the keg.
Never heard or tasted that before.

..and every keg that is ever transported from a brewery to somewhere else will receive much more vigorous & prolonged "shaking" than 30secs of rocking back & forth.

They say it on the brew strong show. I'll post up the episode in a sec. I think it's under packaging

Yeah that's it. Not saying it would as I'm still very new to this but they still don't recommend shaking it. More rocking it back and forwards

I've got a 4-way manifold with the last outlet having a beverage disconnect attached to it. I force carb down the beverage dip tube and gently rock back and forth for a couple of minutes at 300kpa. Then turn the gas off and continue rocking for 30 seconds. Leave to settle for an hour, release the pressure, reconnect at serving, drink.

mrsupraboy said:
Yeah that's it. Not saying it would as I'm still very new to this but they still don't recommend shaking it. More rocking it back and forwards
There's shaking and there's shaking. I just tip end to end.

There's only so hard you can actually "shake" a full keg. It's definitely more of a rocking back and forth.

gsouth said:
I've got a 4-way manifold with the last outlet having a beverage disconnect attached to it. I force carb down the beverage dip tube and gently rock back and forth for a couple of minutes at 300kpa. Then turn the gas off and continue rocking for 30 seconds. Leave to settle for an hour, release the pressure, reconnect at serving, drink.
How long is the line for you to be able to rock a keg back and forth? Im guessing your manifold isnt mounted in a keezer or fridge like normal, OR u have a really long gas line curled up inside.

shaunous said:
How long is the line for you to be able to rock a keg back and forth? Im guessing your manifold isnt mounted in a keezer or fridge like normal, OR u have a really long gas line curled up inside.
Yeah I've got the manifold mounted inside the fridge. The length of line is just long enough to reach a keg outside on the ground. Maybe 1.5-2m. Allows me to connect it easily and rock it back and forth. I just curl it up and slide it in beside the kegs.
Also, I use MFL fittings so can easily unscrew the beverage disconnect and replace it with a gas disconnect if I need it.

Latest posts

Back