How Long Should An Ipa Be Aged?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rday

Reaction score
I bottled an imperial IPA last weekend and I told myself not to even think of touching it for 4 weeks. But I have been reading around and seen some suggestions that hoppy beers should be less aged. Any opinions?

I think it depends on if its a Kit and Kilo or AG.

All the kit beers I brewed I'd leave for 2 months and they would start tasting good around then. When I moved to AG the beers started tasting good as soon as they were carbed up. But then again, I only started taking ferment temp controlled seriously around the time I moved to AG.

My $0.02

At the absolute minimum i leave any beer for 2 weeks, even then 4-6 weeks is a good area.
Having said that, i always crack one after a week to see what they taste like.. gives you a good idea on just how good they will be after a month.

I bottled an imperial IPA last weekend and I told myself not to even think of touching it for 4 weeks. But I have been reading around and seen some suggestions that hoppy beers should be less aged. Any opinions?

I massively late hop APA's with Amarillo and have started into them straight off after two weeks in the fermenter chilled right down for two or three days filtered and kegged . They taste great and plenty of aroma although a little green, but without a doubt as Mark says they get a hell of a lot better left for a few weeks

:icon_cheers:

I think it's all up to personal preferance, for me, the 2 beers I drink as soon as their ready are IPA's and Wheaties.

If its American in style... Before it even carbonates ;)

Looks like this topic is homebrewing in a nutshell. Basically anywhere from 1 week to however long it takes to sail around the world from here to the US to the UK and on to India. :lol:

I particularly like j1g's "at the very least 2 weeks... But I open one at 1 week for a sneak peek!" :blink:

As it is unlikely that I would be able to go 4 weeks without trying one anyway, I'll just call it an experiment in seeing how much hoppiness is lost over time and identifying what the best conditioning time actually is.

Looks like this topic is homebrewing in a nutshell. Basically anywhere from 1 week to however long it takes to sail around the world from here to the US to the UK and on to India. :lol:

I particularly like j1g's "at the very least 2 weeks... But I open one at 1 week for a sneak peek!" :blink:

As it is unlikely that I would be able to go 4 weeks without trying one anyway, I'll just call it an experiment in seeing how much hoppiness is lost over time and identifying what the best conditioning time actually is.

haha, One week sneak peek FOR THE WIN! :lol:

It takes the bottle at least two weeks to reach full carbonation depending on the Sugar available.
8 weeks minimum.

It may depend on the season for the voyage. Rough seas would be more likely to keep any yeast in suspension a little longer.
My brews are usually all gone but 1 tallie and a stubbie by the time they are ready. I did leave a nice hoppy APA for nearly 4 months and it was starting to lose it's hop aroma and flavour. I've found the sharpness from any malt is the first to go.

Back