How Long In A Corney Unrefrigerated?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bada Bing Brewery

Reaction score
Noob question. Once a brew is in a corney and CO2 burped, must it be refrigerated? If not how long can it stand at ambient temp in a coolish room???
Any help appreciated
BBB

Interested as well, I've run out of fridge space for cornies ATM and a few brews piling up that need kegging, so they'll have to sit in cornies for a few weeks waiting their turn.

I would guess that a cornie is really just a huge bottle - however over Christmas I took some 1/3 cornies out of the kegerator and replaced them with full ones. They sat for about a month (admittedly in a 37 degree garage over that period). The idea was to cycle them back into the kegerator one at a time until they were all drunk. However they were a bit nasty - what was a pretty good Red ale had turned skunky and fruity for example.

Sensible temperature should be ok I suppose, for a couple of months?

I think the yeast cell count would be an important factor in this situation.

Is the corny filtered?

Interested as well, I've run out of fridge space for cornies ATM and a few brews piling up that need kegging, so they'll have to sit in cornies for a few weeks waiting their turn.

I would guess that a cornie is really just a huge bottle - however over Christmas I took some 1/3 cornies out of the kegerator and replaced them with full ones. They sat for about a month (admittedly in a 37 degree garage over that period). The idea was to cycle them back into the kegerator one at a time until they were all drunk. However they were a bit nasty - what was a pretty good Red ale had turned skunky and fruity for example.

Sensible temperature should be ok I suppose, for a couple of months?

Yes same problem here - running out of space .....

Depends on the beer to, but I generally have some full cornies sitting in the bar at room temp, and can be 3 months before I hook it up. I've not had an issue yet, apart from maybe being a little past it's prime. The large volume will mature and reach it's peak sooner, as opposed to bottles which can take longer.

I think the yeast cell count would be an important factor in this situation.

Is the corny filtered?

Not being a tool but you mean the beer being filtered right??? Or is there some filtering in the corney that can be done??? be gentle ....
It is not filtered beer ... basically the beer is ready to be carbed (10 psi for 10 days method) but running out of space fast.

sadly the answer is "it depends" a stout will survive better than a pale lager, but as a rule the higher the storage temp the faster the beer will stale.

Perhaps consider adding 70g of dextrose and keg conditioning? After all it works for bottled

I'm about to be in this situation too, got a bunch of double batches in the pipeline and I'm using my cold conditioning fridge for ale fermenting!

Stux, the thing is, it will still mature and possibly stale quicker simply because of the volume. It shouldn't matter how it's carbonated, it's all about volume :) Oh, and the ingredients used

Stux, the thing is, it will still mature and possibly stale quicker simply because of the volume. It shouldn't matter how it's carbonated, it's all about volume :) Oh, and the ingredients used

So why will more beer stale quicker then less beer?

Possibly. On the staling part I was more agreeing with markfish, but re-reading his post he refers to temp, not volume (my bad :wacko: ). I could imagin though, that if a beer will mature quicker in large volumes, then surely the staling effect will be quicker?
It's my understanding that chemical reactions will happen quicker in larger volumes of beer, am I wrong in thinking this? Sorry, It was a while ago I read/discussed this so don't have any referance

ive got a couple that are over a year in age. hell i found a keg of raspberry wheat that was 15 months old and it was bloody lovely

OP, some good info on staling here

Nothing about volume that I can find though :unsure:

Maybe we should be asking - what is the longest you have had a brew in a corney (not refrigerated) that has still been fine to drink. And what type of beer ...

Thanks Barls + Raspberry wheat > 1 yr
Anybody else?

I have never had to keep a keg out of the fridge but would think as long as it is purged of oxygen and kept as cool as possible, out of direct sun light, yada yada, I can't see why it shouldn't keep OK for a month or two.

Drew

I cracked a keg of Belgian Pale 2 weeks ago that had been sitting at room temp for nearly 5 months. Mind you, I conditioned it in the keg with half the amount of sugar I usually use (so 38 gms) as I knew I wanted to leave it for awhile.
It's drinking beautifully.
Cheers, John.

Latest posts

Back