Quantcast

How long does it take for a yeast starter to do it's thing?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Muz

Reaction score
I've always wondered this. I usually use BeerSmith to work out the size of yeast starter I need. Then recently I was trying to revive a particularly old yeast batch and a friend put me on to yeastcalculator.com. both seem to do they job but I've always wondered what is the a) minimum and b) optimum time to leave a yeast starter before pitching? I mean if one of these calculators recommends a starter of X litres and Y grams of DME to get to Z billion cells, how long will this process take to get there?

I read something recently (sorry, can't find it now) that said 48 hours means you're pitching when the yeast are at the peak of their activity. Then I read someone's process where they left a yeast starter for only four hours. I would have thought that wasn't enough time. Anyone got some science to answer this one? Can you leave a yeast starter too long?

soreba

BeardedDogz
Reaction score
If it's old yeast, it will take longer. Depends on how many cells you start with.
My starters are done usually around the 24 hour mark - krausen gone and activity settled, then i crash and pitch. If its a 6 month old liquid yeast vial then usually 48 hours.

Muz

Reaction score
OK, so where do you get those times from? I guess a krausen would give you an indication of where the activity is at. I use a stir plate so I don't get this visual feedback. though I do find the starter gets whiter as the starter progresses.

soreba

BeardedDogz
Reaction score
OK, so where do you get those times from?
My experience from trial and error :)

You should be getting some kind of krausen on a stir plate.. I have a 4 litre starter on at the moment.. will take a pic when i get home.
If its old yeast sometimes it wont show any feedback, in those cases i usually step up again to make sure of viability.

Edit: See here https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLWFPyHqMj/?igshid=14hh13n1190ku for what it should look like... although this guy spins his really fast, mines a bit slower.

Reactions: Muz

Muz

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I guess I get something similar. I never really thought of it as krausen. I just thought it was bubbles caused by the spinning and the overly aerated wort it produces. I'll pay more attention next time.

I was also just thinking I could take a gravity reading and see where things are at right? Or get a really small tilt...

hoppy2B

Reaction score
The 4 hr starter might be what they refer to as a vitality starter. I think it is just meant to oxygenate the yeast and getting it started for pitching.

Kev R

Reaction score
I checked the gravity on one at 24hours because i thought the yeast was no good. Turned out it was done.
I do 2lt starters at 1.035. Not had one go past 48 hours(ale). Turn of the stir plate if it starts to settle I consider it done.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Also depends if you're pitching an active starter (high krausen) or finishing ferment and decanting.

Latest posts