How Long Do People Take Between Batches?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday is brew day. I have 2 30litre fermenters, and 1 60 litre, so alternate.
1 week I do a 30litre, the next week I do a 60 litre. I ferment for 2 weeks at a time.
I have 4 kegs that are always full, and a backlog of grolch bottles (70 of these) and about 60 750ml bottles for anythig that doesnt fit in the kegs.

I suppose this all means I drink too much!

Pretty much whenever I've got enough empties round the side of the house, but lately there's always been a full fermenter in the brauhaus.
I've also started doing double AG brewdays. Once the gear's all set up out the back, it's not much more effort to mash & sparge the 2nd brew while the 1st is boiling. I either throw one in a cube, or have two fermenters in stereo in the brauhaus.

About one a month. I aim to do more but never get around to it. I have the capacity to do one per week.

with my new 3v rig I do double or 2.5 batches, Over the lat 10 weeks it's been once a week (I was 10 empty kegs), Now have 2 empty kegs, 2 fermenting and 2 cubes.

I would like to have 10 fullish kegs and 6 cubes, that way when a keg blows, or I know is getting close I can start fermenting one a cube then plan a brew.

Basically brew once a week, Fridays but tends to be less in summer when I spend time away.

Aim to drink my brews after they have matured in bottles for about 3 months, current stocks about 250 litres.

Only problem is if you make changes to your brews takes a while to taste the results.

as a new brewer im always waiting to see if the previous batch is any good to see what to change, which usually means at least a month between batches.
I'm currently working on an Irish Red style - I'm up to batch number 3 on it and still not completely happy with it yet. I normally wait until I finish all the beer I make with one style before trying again. I normally brew 30-40 litres batches though - so it takes me a while to get through it all, but the countless sips from the cold glass really help one to work out what they like and what needs to change. If I was smart I'd brew smaller batch sizes for test brews - but alas, I'm not.

I have 2 fermenting fridges, 5 fermenters, 9 kegs, 8 taps and a 500L chesty. I brew whenever I have a spare day, usually about once every 10 days on average untill I have 9 full kegs, then I stop for a couple of months from burn-out, then I get that itch again (usually from reading a recipe thread on here) and it all kicks off again!

Cheers - Snow.

I've slowly been increasing the brewing rate, but have settled around a fortnight between brew days. I currently have 4 cornies and 4 cubes and fortnightly seems to be about right to keep them full at all times.

Been brewing for 22 months and have 61 brews = 2.7 brews per month.

I reckon about every 4-6 weeks...

did a double last weekend and will do 2 doubles this weekend.. which will up my numbers.

I currently have;
5 full kegs and four taps
2 fermenters going right now... Lagers when i have plenty of back stocks
2 full cubes ready and waiting, will have 6 by Sunday

the beauty of no chill - brew in fury, ferment at leisure

then it'll be about 3 months or more before brewing again, depends what happens when i have our oktoberfest party and see how many kegs i've got left.

I aim for every week but time doesn't always permit. Sometimes it's every four weeks but if that's the case, I'll aim to knock out between 2 and 5 batches in a short space of time. Unexpected day off today so aiming for 2 batches. I have other stuff to do though so I may only get one today but get another in on Friday or saturday

the beauty of no chill - brew in fury, ferment at leisure
Same here. I brew when I can. Which seems to average out to 2 a month but it tends to be in splurges, then I work my way through the cube stash. No Chill is great for this. No need to worry about fermenter availability, yeast starters etc.. when doing a brew. The mash&boil / ferment are totally separate for me.

I definitely brew more than I can possibly consume but my friends and family do their bit to help keep the Beer Lake to manageable sizes. It seems easy to get supply far outstripping demand once you are 'hooked' with brewing. I'm sure there must be some major stockpiles lurking with posters to this forum.

When Ross hurries up and releases his FWK's I'm gunna buy some for a couple of reasons...

1 - More beer less brewing.
2 - Full sized cube left over afterwards, meaning I can collect a few and stockpile my brews and ferment at leisure!

When Ross hurries up and releases his FWK's I'm gunna buy some for a couple of reasons...

1 - More beer less brewing.
2 - Full sized cube left over afterwards, meaning I can collect a few and stockpile my brews and ferment at leisure!

I am going to do similar.

Having done only FWK's I am going to do the BIAB starting on Friday.
I had to get a little old chinese lady who does clothing alterations to make my bags for me.

It will take her 3 days ????? and cost more than the actual material!

anyway...I am almost on my way.

I think I will always do FWK's regardless, some of them are pretty damn good.
The Brewers selection ones are outstanding...especially the Pilsener. IMO.

All of the FWK's I've done in the past have been craptastic. I reckon that's because they're usually 15L and say to top up to 20L but then end up being too diluted.

Ross's will be full volume (21L) so shouldn't have that problem.

I brew 2 batches on approx every 2 weeks. Longer if I'm fermenting lagers. Can never have enough stock.
On average have 6 or so kegs full. Would like to have all full but would have to stop drinking or buy commerical beer for a while. Have 14 or so kegs and hundreds of bottles.

Once you have the bug for brewing and drinking of course it's hard to not brew.

Cheers, WoolBrew :icon_cheers:

Pulled the brew gear out in June after sitting aound the side of the house for about 3-4 years. Put down my 5th brew yesturday. I started 1st and 2nd with mash on flame and stir, the 3rd and 4th I added a heat exchange and tried HERMS, 5th brew back to heat on flame. Yesturday I mashed in at 8:30am and finished at 2:30pm. In this time I made 1 wort, kegged and bottled from fermenter and prepared a yeast starter aswell as having everything emptied and clean for my next brew which will be as soon as soon as my next fermenter is free (I have 2 fermenters, 1 fermenting fridge). I'd say about every 2-3 weeks I will aim to brew.

Every second Saturday is brew day for me, I'd love to brew every Saturday but that's a bit much for me to consume these days. Once a fortnight seems to work out ok, if I left it 3 weeks things would start looking a bit grim in the beer fridge fairly quickly :drinks:

Yep me two, ever second friday i Bottle and then wake up and start again :beerbang: sometimes if i rack, I squeeze in another brew :drinks:

Latest posts

Back