How Long Do Hops Last?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandgarden

Reaction score
I have some loose hops that a mate gave me 6 months ago and I'm wondering if they still would be any good. They have been stored in a dry cool(ish) place over the winter but not refridgerated. How long are they good for? Do they degrade much with time? Would they ever get stale and give a brew a stale taste?

And another thing, would you use loose hops from a completely unsealed bag for dry hopping? They are totally open to whatever germs so I would be a bit concerned about sanitation. I know there is supposed to be no problem with the hops you buy in a sealed bag but these are oen and have been handled by hands. Is it true that hops are self-sanitising?

In all honesty, chuck them.

If you really want to use them, let your nose be your guide, if they small fresh & aromatic they should be ok, if not, ditch them.

Cheers Ross

That chart only shows AA% degradation.

I'd be more worried about the flavours.

Nick, the chart you linked is for barrier packed hops, the question was for loose unsealed hop.

Cheers Ross

It's actually just a picture of some software. :D Looks like you can select "no seal poly bag" ...

But yeah - chuck 'em.

On that note - I have some quite old frozen Citra that's seemed to have lost AAs faster than aroma.

Agree with Ross.

Chuck em and start again, but not for any staling reasons.

Absolutely hops degrade over time - or maybe a better way to put it would be to say they lose their effectiveness over time. Even more so if not stored well.
I wouldn't say that hops are self sanitising, but they do have very good anti bacterial fighting stuff going on naturally. That's most of the reason IPA's are so heavily hopped. The extra hopping meant that the beer would stay fresher for the long journey to it's intended consumers. Without the hops, brewers found that their beer would stale.

For the cost of buying fresh product, i'd start again and keep them stored in the fridge/freezer (open for debate), in an airtight container (preferably vacuum sealed).

Disagree on chucking them. I vote for putting them in a paper bag, stick them up in the roof space if you can, let them degrade some more over the summer, and use them in a lambic. mmmmmm cheezy hops.

but as far as normal usage goes, i wouldn't.

Thanks for the anwers guys, they did give my brewing fridge a lovely aroma so they weren't totally wasted!

i'd use them in a crappy lager to share with my mates.. but then i'm a tight ass!

Back