How Long Can You Leave Beer In Primary Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully mate but you can disrupt suspended co2 in fermented solution and therefore some airlock action. But if there was krausen well cant deny that. Good luck on your 1st brew. You being patient itll be fine:).
By krausen I mean it still had a good 1 inch head of foam on top of brew, I assume krausen is the term, correct me if im wrong

By krausen I mean it still had a good 1 inch head of foam on top of brew, I assume krausen is the term, correct me if im wrong
Yep sure is an actively fermenting beverage will develope a foamy looking layer atop after 9 days is odd but you may have somehow re disturbed yeast and have kickstarted fermentation keep it warm now for a good finnish.

I have read of dry hops causing further fermentation to occur than would have otherwise, I don't know how accurate it is; I haven't noticed it in my own brews, but it would at least create nucleation points for CO2 bubbles to form on. Don't worry about what the airlock is doing though, they're pretty unreliable for that sort of thing. Trust your hydrometer.

Keg it with the right amount of sugar, come back to carbonated beer that just needs cooling down!
Mark
I would be very interested in your experience here.
I’m about to try this soon in a 10 ltr keg.
Sorry for starting an old post.
Cheers

Don't be - sorry I mean, we are always telling people to read old threads (do a search...) before starting a new thread, so glad you did!

Most of the beer I brew benefits from a maturation period in the several weeks to months range (some longer)
For a Heff or something intensely hopped turning them around faster is a good idea, but for a bitter or pale ale keg conditioning is a great way to bet both maturity and condition (fizz).
I'm just about to head off to work so to keep this brief - have a look at the relevant section of Braukaiser.
Should be home by 8PM so if you have any questions, catch up around then.
Mark

Latest posts

Back