How Long Can You Leave A Finished Brew In The Fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi All
Just wondering what a safe amount of time is you can leave a brew in the fermenter after it has finished fermenting? I've read that two weeks is ok. Thanks in advance.

2 Weeks is a fairly standard amount of time. I've heard of people leaving their brews in for 4+ weeks in the primary with no adverse effects.

Just make sure you take hydrometer readings to confirm that it has finished fermenting before you bottle/keg it.

Thanks,

Ben

2 to 4 weeks at 'fermenting temps' should be fine.
6 to 8 weeks at 'lagering temps' is also not unusual.

I've been using s-189 in my main fermenting fridge lately. 2 weeks at 12, 1 day at 18c then 2 weeks at 4c

Been coming out really clean.

QldKev

Having had the misfortune to leave an ale at ambient fermenting temps (18-20oC) for 8 weeks I would say "Don't do it that long!". :rolleyes: Unless you like the taste of rubber bandaids!

I agree with Wolfy that longer than 4 is pushing it. At 4.5-5 weeks you will notice slight autolysis character (woody/nuttiness) creeping in, beyond this (after 6 weeks) the solvent character of autolysis really comes to the fore. This late racking can give something like a Stout or Dark beer some interesting character, but you are really tempting fate doing this.

Like I said my 8 week wasn't a deliberate experiment, just got busy last year and left the beer - but learn from my mistake!

Commercial Breweries rack off the yeast cake fairly swiftly to remove any yeast flavour creeping in - heard a James Squire Brewer speak at a function and they said they rack off yeast almost immediately after primary has finished.

Hopper.

Excellent thanks all for the replies. All the advise is appreciated.

awww i dunno, i have had 20L of flanders red sitting for about 17 months now lol

Having had the misfortune to leave an ale at ambient fermenting temps (18-20oC) for 8 weeks I would say "Don't do it that long!". :rolleyes: Unless you like the taste of rubber bandaids!

Hopper.
Like myself,you conducted a controlled experiment on the affect/taste of autolysis ..and you learnt what rubber bands taste like.. :lol: ;)

Latest posts

Back