How long can you cold crash an ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Ive had an ale that has been cold crashed in the fridge for a week. Prior to ccing it had 2 weeks in primary - is it gunna be OK? theres no dry hopping thats been done - its just a straight LCBA clone

I dont see why not. I am drinking a chilly fizzy ale now. I am starting to get the impression there is nothing you cant do to beer.

It'll be fine. Extended CCing won't do any harm. In fact it could benefit the beer.

I usually try to CC my ales for at least a week. I've gone up to three and the bottles still carbed up fine if you're worried about that.

Three weeks in the fermenter is nothing to worry about. it will be fine, and nice and clear after 1 week cold crashing.

What was your concern storebought? 5-7 days in the cold is pretty standard for most of my beers.

Yep, I CC in the primary for 1-2 weeks after fermentation is finished. Clear and smooth.

Its kind of the same as letting it condition in the keg for two weeks, except its still on the cake.

Cheers
Matty

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Ive had an ale that has been cold crashed in the fridge for a week. Prior to ccing it had 2 weeks in primary - is it gunna be OK? theres no dry hopping thats been done - its just a straight LCBA clone
I usually do 1-1-1 Primary, Secondary, CC. I have had times when either will go to 2. Doesn't seem to effect the beer.

I'm sure it will be fine, just try not to deviate from your normal process too often.

Probably cuz I've moved and the beer slushed around a lot on the truck and there was some wort in the airlock bit (Couldnt be arsed bottling had too much else to do). So its probably a little oxygenated? Suppose CCing might get rid of some of that?

I've never CC'd a beer after primary.. didn't know it was common practice for ales, only pilseners- maybe I've done alright then

All my ales spend 7-10 days in primary in the "warmth" (about 18c depending on any specific stylistic requirements) and then get moved to 8c for another two weeks, still in the primary fermenter on yeast. Then 3 weeks in bottles before drinking, again at about 8c (1 night at 18c to get them going).
Lagers- the whole time at about 8c. Same times- 3weeks in fermenter and 3 weeks in bottles. Sometimes i leave the lagers a little longer but I haven't found it makes much difference.

g

The sloshing is best avoided but cold conditioning won't affect that (for better or worse) except by slowing the rates of any oxidation reactions that may have begun.

poggor said:
All my ales spend 7-10 days in primary in the "warmth" (about 18c depending on any specific stylistic requirements) and then get moved to 8c for another two weeks, still in the primary fermenter on yeast. Then 3 weeks in bottles before drinking, again at about 8c (1 night at 18c to get them going).
Lagers- the whole time at about 8c. Same times- 3weeks in fermenter and 3 weeks in bottles. Sometimes i leave the lagers a little longer but I haven't found it makes much difference.

g
Yeah thats about the same for me less the cold crash at the minute- but I tend to crack a few around 2 weeks and think 'is this beer any good' - but b y 3rd week its damn thats tasty lol.

manticle said:
The sloshing is best avoided but cold conditioning won't affect that (for better or worse) except by slowing the rates of any oxidation reactions that may have begun.
Cheers manticle - I'll try and get them into the bottles today - I hate bottling :\ But don't want kegs as that seems too tempting :\

Havent been bothered I guess cuz I did 2 double batches and have (had) 4 cartons down and ready to drink - More like 2 cartons now :drinks:

I recently bottled one (pale ale) that had CCd in secondary for 14 months. It's turned out excellent.

Same, left a cube of fermented lcba with a mate and he got around to bottling it six months later or something. Turned out excellent.

Latest posts

Back