How long can I leave a NEIPA in the fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I am planning on brewing a NEIPA this Saturday. It will be in the fermenter by Saturday late afternoon and has a couple of dry hop additions in the first 10 days. I am going away for a week on what would be the 14th day of fermentation. I would like some feedback from any seasoned brewers whether I can leave it in the fermenter for 21 days before kegging. I ferment in an allrounder and I ferment under pressure (I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but this works for me). I also like to cold crash for 48 hours. So in essence if I have not reached FG by the Thursday so I can cold crash, will it hurt to leave it another week? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Nick.

The obvious: if the fermenter holds pressure, even slight, oxidation shouldn't be a problem unless oxygen contact happens during dry hopping. Will it? If fermentation is finished when you leave, you could set the temp low to slow biochemical activity.

But your concern is probably with leaving the hops in contact with the beer? How much are you using? Which hops? Hops left in contact with beer that long can impart a grassy taste. Consider making all the your additions not long before you leave.

Many people keg-hop for far longer without grassiness so I wouldn't stress about that.

What yeast are you using that you are worried about it not finishing in 12 days? If you are fermenting under pressure, then yeast expression isn't a big concern for you, so I'd just make sure to pick a yeast that you know will get the job done quickly. Chuck a couple of packs of S04 in and it should be done in half that.

Hi all thanks for the feedback.

Hops are Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic Yeats is Lallemand New England American East Coast ale (dry)

I am now planning on beginning the Cold crashing process on the Wednesday (day 11) and kegging Friday (day 13)

In regards to oxidisation, yes I have to release pressure, remove lid to dry hop. However pressure comes back very quickly and so far I have had no issue with any off flavours. I am trying to get my hands on this new hop bong from kegland but it keeps selling out quickly.

You should have no issues being done by day 11 with that yeast. if you want to try dry hopping without opening the lid, you can put the hops in a hop sock with a coated magnet, such as a stir bar. Have a strong magnet on the outside to hold the bag above the beer, then just pull it when you want the hops to go in.

Great thanks

Yes I have been reading about the magnet solution.

I might give that a try, it seems less complicated than the hop bong. Any recommendations on where to get them? What is your definition of a strong magnet? Sorry not a scientific bone in my body.

Cheers

You should be able to pick up a stir bar at your local home brew shop, otherwise ebay or amazon for quick delivery. On the outside I have just used some neodymium rare earth magnets. I cant remember where they came from. but it looks like you can buy from bunnings.

Sous vide magnets also work (food safe + strong) and easily available online.

Thanks everyone, I now have my magnets and hop socks. Does everyone also use something to weigh the socks down in the beer? I've read that you get a better result if the hops aren't just sitting on top.

I've also read that people sanitise the socks, just wondering if adding hops to a wet sock is an issue, or do you wait for the socks to dry before adding the hops?

Cheers

I've added the hops to the wet hopsock without letting it to dry. I dont bother weighing it down, if you want to, I'd use a big stainless nut or washer etc.

You can drag the hop sock down into the wort using said magnet and hold it under the surface by leaving the magnet attached on the outside.

Otherwise a couple of s/s teaspoons in the sock do the trick to weigh it down.

I find that the magnet in the hop sock is heavy enough to weigh it down and keep it under the surface.

thanks,

one last question, perhaps for beergee. I have read that leaving hops in too long is not good and creates grassy flavours.

With leaving the magnet attached and sliding into the wort, do you generally then pull the hops out after 3/4 days or you don't thin it matters?

Back