How Long Can I Keep Fermented Beer In A Cube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ester Trub

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm planning to serve home brew at a festival I'm going to. At least 100 ltrs worth, maybe more.
I have to brew in bulk and keep the fermented beer in cubes until they can be kegged closer to the date. (I am borrowing the kegs from a mate and don't have access to them now)
So my question is, how long is ok to keep the fermented beer in a cube? I assume it's just like a large bottle right? and should be safe as long as I keep everything sanitary?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers
Ben

id add a teasoon of sugar to each cube to produce a co2 layer on top of beer (excluding oxygen) and store in fridge. you sould be able to store like that for months

Unfortunately, no refrigeration, but I can store in a cool place.

With regards to the Co2 layer, does that mean that head space is a consideration in the cube? I'm guessing they should be full or almost full?

Racked off the yeast & trub and with as little air in contact with the beer as possible, or full of co2 instead of air, they should last quite a while. How long are you planning to leave them, weeks, months? the colder the better as well.

Maybe 4 weeks only.
Will be racked to a secondary, and then again to the cube.

Because, when I rack it usually drops a few more points and more yeast settles out. I find I get clearer beers that way, however usually I bottle from secondary, not rack to a cube.
The reason I'm going to rack to a cube is because it's possible I may have to drive a long way with them before they're kegged and they won't have much time to settle out before they're served. I figure racking to a secondary and then again to a cube after a week will make for a clearer beer.

Lo ester trub,
Had a kit beer in the fermenter for 2 months or a bit more once.[Had to go away].Bottled up ok,sediment was really settled after that time.Long as it's airtight should be ok I reckon.
Cheers,
Wombil.

P.S. Was only sitting in the shed too.

Because, when I rack it usually drops a few more points and more yeast settles out. I find I get clearer beers that way, however usually I bottle from secondary, not rack to a cube.
The reason I'm going to rack to a cube is because it's possible I may have to drive a long way with them before they're kegged and they won't have much time to settle out before they're served. I figure racking to a secondary and then again to a cube after a week will make for a clearer beer.

I transferred an old ale from secondary to a cube & aged it for 3.5 years before bottling. Had to burp the cube occasionally. Drank the 1st bottle last night after conditioning for another 6 months :ph34r: . Tasting great. :super:

was that with brett/bugs in it? they'd probably help to scavenge o2

As long as all is sanitary, there's no problem - unless the cube explodes

Latest posts

Back