How Far Have You Pushed Total Volume In A 30l Fementer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
Just wondering how many litres you have crammed into your fermenter without it resulting in a sticky mess. Obviously I wouldn't push it with a wheat beer but I'm looking at doing some batches as close to the 30L mark as I can. Just having a think about the types of beers and yeasts that I could get away with the least amount of headspace.

I quite often do 27 litre batches in my 30 litre fermenter.
Always have a blow-off tube at the ready but most times don't need it, by 5mm from the airlock stem.
Really depends what yeast you're using, I wouldn't attempt it with 3638 or Notto for instance.

Yeah, I do 25 to 27 litres pretty often. Mind you I have only done 10 batches so far.

Just wondering how many litres you have crammed into your fermenter without it resulting in a sticky mess. Obviously I wouldn't push it with a wheat beer but I'm looking at doing some batches as close to the 30L mark as I can. Just having a think about the types of beers and yeasts that I could get away with the least amount of headspace.

Did 29L once, was a bit messy, but still ended up with ~27.5L in the bottles (~0.5L of blow out, and ~1L of trub/lees). Would I do it again? No, but still it was fun, and the beer wasn't bad either. ;)

Should mention that the ferment was run at 15C so was slow specifically to minimize the krausen issues.

Back