How Far Can A Perth Pub Go To Stop You From Having A Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you'd actually been into the craftsman before hand, you wouldn't have bothered buying a shirt to get into the place.
I thought the price of beer, the chance of getting glassed, the horrible service and the lack lustre food was keeping most people out of WA pubs anyway.

Just a heads up for anyone visiting, if you sit in the 'outdoor' area, they need a credit card and/or drivers licence before they'll do you table service. Not prepared to hand those over, you've got to order at the bar, though the waiters will still bring you the food when it's ready.

If you'd actually been into the craftsman before hand, you wouldn't have bothered buying a shirt to get into the place.
I thought the price of beer, the chance of getting glassed, the horrible service and the lack lustre food was keeping most people out of WA pubs anyway.

Just a heads up for anyone visiting, if you sit in the 'outdoor' area, they need a credit card and/or drivers licence before they'll do you table service. Not prepared to hand those over, you've got to order at the bar, though the waiters will still bring you the food when it's ready.
Gosh they have a high opinion of their patrons. Sassellars do table service and all they require is that you pay for the drinks once you receive them. Mind you in their outdoor area you'd have to handle a 30 foot drop from the balcony if you wanted to do a runner.

"Management reserve the right to refuse entry to any given person at any given time"... said that a few times in my day.

I once got bounced for wearing a particular type of sports shoes... nike shox. Got told people who wear them are trouble makers. "ok" i said. They let everyone else in. Security manager came out, saw i wasn't trouble then took me through the side entrance.

Sometimes it's just a test.

I think you will find they were the fashion police

I remember a small town stoush started at my local in sleepy Lincolnshire.

A gentleman with some kind of brain damage that caused him to slur his speech tried to buy a beer one afternoon in an extremely nice pub (which happened to be owned and managed by an A-grade tosspot).

He was refused because he the owner said he was half cut.

Remonstration lead to him being booted out.

Landlord of a rival pub heard about the story, went to the local paper and the whole story got aired, including an offer from landlord #2 for the gentleman to come for free drinks at his pub anytime.

Anyways...

Landlord of a rival pub heard about the story, went to the local paper and the whole story got aired, including an offer from landlord #2 for the gentleman to come for free drinks at his pub anytime.
Publican 1 is an A-grade tosspot but publican 2 emerges a top bloke and not a mercenary douche? Funny old world, hey?

I never get into any "knobby" nightclubs. I don't have tattoos but must be very ugly 8)

GF

My brother in-law was told If you have sleeve tattoos you can't drink at the Craftsman unless you cover them up so he had to go buy a long sleeve shirt so he could meet his mate for a pint.
Me personally I would have just walked away and drunk somewhere else.
I cant see how a pub can discriminate against you because you have tattoos. But I know if you made a complaint they would use the line "Management reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone"

Sounds like a gender bias also - my daughter has a sleeve of her fav film - would she be allowed in on basis of gender or excluded on the basis of her tatt?

Sounds like a gender bias also - my daughter has a sleeve of her fav film - would she be allowed in on basis of gender or excluded on the basis of her tatt?
Depends on what her favourite film is maybe? :)

Jokes aside, given the prevalence of tatts these days a pub that refused entry on this is really starting to limit their customer base...

I know some extremely nice and non violent people who have tatts (I was going to say ink to not reuse the same term but ink always feels to me like a term you should only be able to use if you have one, I don't know if it is regarded that way but it just seems odd for me to type...)

I though the esplanade hotel was bad not letting me in with my work boots due to the prevalence of glassings in Melbourne nightspots. Said pub still serves beer in glass, including bottles.

A credit card for table service means I know where not to visit if I come to WA.

I was going to leave it alone but I've had a few beers now...

Speaking as someone who has two sleeves (although the right arm is only %80 forearm and %100 upper arm) I think the discrimination/civil liberties issue is a bit rich.

Yes, when I was working and had shirt and tie I would get treated better than I do when I am in flannel or heavy metal t-shirt, but when working in a people-focussed role for long enough that makes sense. A great deal of the people that look like me are rude, uneducated dickheads.

True discrimination occurs based on factors that a person has no control over - gender, skin colour, facial features, etc.

I chose to get tattooed and as such, although it often shits me to tears, I have to live with the consequences.

Has there been discrimination? Yes, of a sort. Is it unethical to judge someone based on preconceived notions? Yes, but that doesn't prevent us all from doing it naturally as part of our evolutionary legacy.

I suppose, as always, I am saying I agree with you all - but hell, aren't we lucky we aren't in Libya?

I have been refused entry to a pub when I was wearing thongs, I can understand why as a OH&S issue so it didnt bother me untill 5 women walked threw the door with thongs on and none got refused entry. Have also been refused entry in the valley in brisbane coz I had the wrong shoes??? they was the same as all my mates (skate shoes) just a different colour. went and bought a black pair and was allowed in.

Ink is cool , even old ink like mine.
Ummmm mum still dont like it ! May be a job for her as a door person. Get her out of the sweat shop making BIAB bags .

GB

lol. think of the BIAB's GB what would they do without the quality bags haha.

I was going to leave it alone but I've had a few beers now...

Speaking as someone who has two sleeves (although the right arm is only %80 forearm and %100 upper arm) I think the discrimination/civil liberties issue is a bit rich.

Yes, when I was working and had shirt and tie I would get treated better than I do when I am in flannel or heavy metal t-shirt, but when working in a people-focussed role for long enough that makes sense. A great deal of the people that look like me are rude, uneducated dickheads.

True discrimination occurs based on factors that a person has no control over - gender, skin colour, facial features, etc.

I chose to get tattooed and as such, although it often shits me to tears, I have to live with the consequences.

Has there been discrimination? Yes, of a sort. Is it unethical to judge someone based on preconceived notions? Yes, but that doesn't prevent us all from doing it naturally as part of our evolutionary legacy.

I suppose, as always, I am saying I agree with you all - but hell, aren't we lucky we aren't in Libya?
Completely agree,except for a couple of points.A great deal of people who wear suits and ties are rude,uneducated dickheads too, with or without ink,and discrimination occurs for reasons apart from race,religion,gender,skin colour,etc.I'm thinking of people who live in 'certain' suburbs that are judged by some to be 'lower class'and/or 'criminal breeding grounds'.I don't consider the person who pre-judges me or anyone else with ink ,to be any different than the person who pre-judges Koories, or any other minoritygroup.Discrimination is discrimination,and it occurs because people who practice it are uneducated themselves.By that, I mean little life experience,meeting people of all persuasions and getting to know them on a personal level.As someone who's copped this sort of shit,on and off, for many years,I learnt not to practice on other people what's been practiced on me. Discrimination only happens if we,personally, allow ourselves to practice it.Is it natural evolutionary legacy? Not in my opinion.Watch how kids play together and get along,no matter what religion,race,etc.It seems to me that shit only happens when bigoted adults indoctrinate them with their own biases. :rolleyes: Watch out for those K+K brewers!! We all know what they're like! :D

Read about this a few weeks back about a bondi pub, an obvious plot to keep the " lebanese look " out , keep the westy out of the posh Eastern suburbs.
I can see why establishments may want to keep trouble makers out but then trouble makers don't really fit a stereotype, all they end up doing is alienating a large part of the clientel.

It's a tricky line to walk as a bar owner or manager.

link

Thankfully I only have to vet my kids friends.........sorry mate your school uniform is dirty can't sit on the lounge.

:beer:

Many excellent points in there. Some people here are pedantic about brewing terminology, I guess I just like to know that an argument has been fleshed out behind the scenes as well as in front. :p You, good sir, have truly demonstrated that!

I have to say though, in 10 years working in social welfare and not-for-profit organisations that visual stereotypes DO form whether you want them to or not.

There is a difference between the descriptive (what does happen) and the prescriptive (what should happen) - and as you say, discrimination/prejudice is largely a learned behaviour that we develop as adults. The only reason I brought up evolutionary legacy (it is not an argument I resort to often or indeed entirely agree with) is that there are an overwhelming number of articles that use this theory (and, like natural selection it is just theory at the end of the day) as a reason for why we develop the biases as adults.

So I agree with you %100, it's not "natural" in the sense that it is already there, but our predisposition towards developing biases is something to help reduce the cognitive workload. Much the same thing as learning to differentiate the difference between a bee and a fly and learning to ignore one and not the other.

F*ck I'm well and truly into my Friday night now haha. Please don't think I was having a go with my post, I was just commenting that there is a difference between discrimination against cosmetic appearance and genetic appearance, and that although it is not ethically permissable, there is a still an explanation behind the "why" even though we don't like it. Civil liberties is also part of a 10,000 word banger I'm working on so is a bit of a hot topic around these parts.

As for this one: "...A great deal of people who wear suits and ties are rude,uneducated dickheads too..." - yep, they are the worst of them. Social inequality and injustice isn't caused by the toothless tattooed welfare recipients, they are merely the product of it.

And this one: "...Watch out for those K+K brewers!! We all know what they're like! :D ..." :ph34r: hee hee - you said that, not me.

edit: .........sorry mate your school uniform is dirty can't sit on the lounge. - gold.

Its a bit like we now get to eat Halal meat slaughtered by a practising muslim in Islamic approved premises?
gf

I have been refused entry to a pub when I was wearing thongs, I can understand why as a OH&S issue so it didnt bother me untill 5 women walked threw the door with thongs on and none got refused entry. Have also been refused entry in the valley in brisbane coz I had the wrong shoes??? they was the same as all my mates (skate shoes) just a different colour. went and bought a black pair and was allowed in.

It's ridiculous!

A local pub has a no thong after 7pm policy. I can understand as they have a pretty nice dining room just across from the bar and want to have a respectable dressing crowd. I went down one friday arvo for the raffles wearing thongs. I stayed a bit longer than I usually do and they had security start at 8. I went out for a smoke and went to come back in and was told I can't come in because of my thongs. At this time the 2nd security guard was checking IDs of a few girls, who I noticed had heels on. I wouldn't have usually questioned the bouncer but I had a few under me and I asked why I am not allowed in. Expecting the usual "dress-code" answer I was amazed when he said "for safety issues". I chuckled as I asked how the girls could be allowed in with unenclosed heels. He quickly realised how silly it was and just said "just the policy mate, sorry".

He's only doing his job as a security guard but if the pubs are going to restrict patrons entry because they believe the thongs are unsafe with glass then they SHOULD stop the ladies with similar footwear, IMO.

:lol: Didn't think you were having a go in any way,a very well thought out and written description of the issue :beer: I remember reading somewhere not long ago about the 'evolutionary legacy' being a function of the brain, necessary during 'caveman' times,when it was imperative for survival to make snap judgements regarding 'safety' or 'danger' and this reaction still hangs in at times .And yes,i agree it does happen ,even though it shouldnt.But i also believe we're no longer in those days,and through education ,it's possible for people to change that way of thinking.Let's hope we can. :beer: I was only using the K+K comment as an example..Really ;)

Back