How Do I Season A Stainless Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_tewierik

Reaction score
Finally got my bits and bobs together for the gas line from the bottle to the burner today (damn stupid stores not stocking 1/2" to 1/4" reducers!!!)

Anyway.

I have a brand new Robinox Stainless Pot for use as a Kettle, and would like to know how I'd go about seasoning it, before I use it to boil the wort.

Any suggestions. FWIW I searched the site, but wasn't able to locate anything, so if I've missed something obvious and you know the magic words I failed to input into the serach query, that'd be great ;)

Cheers,

GT

Stainless does not need to be seasoned ... it is mainly cast iron that does.

Hi Geoff, all you'll really need to do is fill it up and give it a boil, throw about 2 tblsp salt into the water when it comes to the boil. The salt helps to break down any oils or the like that remain on the surface - I prefer using that than detergent. I washed your kettle before I sent it, but best to give it a good ole boil up before brewing with it. When you empty it, make sure you rinse it out to remove any salt residue. Then you're good to go. Seasoning cookware is usually restricted to cast iron and mild steel fry pans, stainless doesn't really require any seasoning as such. :) Happy brewing !! :D

Righto, thanks for the quick replies guys.

It's almost dark enough outside to sit out on the back deck with a beer and see how long it takes for 30L to boil in my pot. Flames at night are look so much better than during daylight.

you could try some mustard seeds and a couple of bay leaves :)

Seriously though........... just hook in and enjoy!

cheers

you could try some mustard seeds and a couple of bay leaves :)

Seriously though........... just hook in and enjoy!

cheers

I was thinking a pot roast, but, I am probably right out of line here :D

Righto, thanks for the quick replies guys.

It's almost dark enough outside to sit out on the back deck with a beer and see how long it takes for 30L to boil in my pot. Flames at night are look so much better than during daylight.

It was F$%^n windy in Brisvegas today......I hope you have better luck than I did with the flames on bottom of pot...

After building a fort type cubby house around my kettle setup and still not getting to the boil, I had to move to the forbidden garage to finish...

Cheers,

PB :D

Honestly struggling to get it to boil.

10 minutes at 97 degree C, just got to 98 degree.

Might be another half an hour before it boils the way I'm going :(

Wow, never realised how lucky I am to have a whole double garage dedicated solely to my brewery :p

brewery.jpg

Oh, yeah, thats coolroom on the background that happen to come with the place I just started renting... unadvertised too :ph34r:

Yeah well, pin got pulled on the boil, made it to 99 degree, added the salt ala Wayne's suggestion above, gave it another 10 minutes at that temp with the little bit of bubbling that was occurring and then chilled.

Happy with the 15 minute chill down from 99 degree C to 30 degree C using just a straight up copper coil running 17 degree C water.

Yeah well, pin got pulled on the boil, made it to 99 degree, added the salt ala Wayne's suggestion above, gave it another 10 minutes at that temp with the little bit of bubbling that was occurring and then chilled.

Happy with the 15 minute chill down from 99 degree C to 30 degree C using just a straight up copper coil running 17 degree C water.

What type of burner & what size pot GT?
Any chance of rigging uo a temporary\permenant windshield?
I have a NASA that brings 37 litres to the boil in my 70 litre Robinox in under 20 minutes although I am out of the worst of the prevailing winds.

TP :beer:

50L pot, Italian Spiral Burner, 3.5kg/h regulator, 30L of water in the pot.

I'm putting it down to the shitty amount of wind we had tonight.

Edit: Pic of flame under pot, experience tells me the pot needs to be closer to the flame as well, to get better heat transfer.

italian_spiral.jpg

Yeah I reckon the burner could do to be a little closer. Maybe you need a higher capacity regulator Geoff? That frame looks a little difficult to mod the height on....(very cool looking frame though, although I'm not a big fan of the 3 legged approach with big pots of boiling stuff on it :unsure: )
Good to see some fibre cement under it though. Sensible lad. Wives get very upset about burn marks on decking :D

Yeah I'm going to track down a HP reg locally today - hopefully. If not I know where I can get one interstate ;)

Not too worried about the frame as I'm getting some metal for a stand delivered today, so it'll probably just get removed.

And yes, me no silly billy, cement sheet = happy wife :D

Edit: Pic of flame under pot, experience tells me the pot needs to be closer to the flame as well, to get better heat transfer.

italian_spiral.jpg

GT,

As stated the pot does seem a little too high above the pot. From memory my burner is approx 60mm from the bottom of the pot.
Perhaps an easy way to adjust the height would be to take off those cast iron legs & replace them with 3 pieces of 50 x 6mm (Or wider?) angle iron cut to suit the height you want?
Bit of a shame though. Those cast iron legs look so good. :)

TP :beer:

italian_spiral.jpg

Hi Geoff , is that 3.5kg/h regulator just a standard BBQ reg ? I've got the same burner & it takes me 1hr to get 30L to the boil. I'm looking at getting a medium pressure reg 5 - 15kpa.

Lagers

TP: Measurement from where gas comes out of the burner holes, to the bottom of the pot is approx 60mm, may vary by an extra mm or two due to the slight angle the top of the cast brackets are on.

Hi Geoff , is that 3.5kg/h regulator just a standard BBQ reg ?

Nope, std one is 2.8kg/h, so the one I have flows a bit quicker.

Latest posts

Back