How Do I Season A Stainless Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the pot height is fine, the flame is too low, and a higher pressure reg will sort that out. Also, when you get stuck at 98 deg trying to boil, usually a lid makes a big difference.

50L pot, Italian Spiral Burner, 3.5kg/h regulator, 30L of water in the pot.

I'm putting it down to the shitty amount of wind we had tonight.

Edit: Pic of flame under pot, experience tells me the pot needs to be closer to the flame as well, to get better heat transfer.

I have one of Wayne's Italian burners with his adjustable medium pressure reg. It has a different frame, but I'd say the gap from burner to pot is about the same as yours. It boils my 50L keg before I've finished sparging. In other words, my vote's for a new reg.

Well a HP adjustable reg did the job.

17 degree C to boiling at 99 degree C in 44 minutes.

The important time period of 65 degree C to boiling at 99 degree C was just 22 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

Freshly cracked pepper, and salt to taste

Hi Geoff , is that 3.5kg/h regulator just a standard BBQ reg ? I've got the same burner & it takes me 1hr to get 30L to the boil. I'm looking at getting a medium pressure reg 5 - 15kpa.

Lagers
Along these lines Geoff is the burner a "real italian" one or a chinese version of an italian burner? The reason I ask is that I started out with one looking very similar to yours which whilst it may be refrerred to as an italian burner was really a chinese copy of an italian burner and I got similar performance to what Lagers44 is quoting. I messed around with a higher pressure reg. but found that performance was very unstable and it was very prone to blowing out. I suspect that the jet size may be different as there is no way I could ever get the performance that domomnsura has shown out of my version of the burner. I have now moved to a nasa style burner so this one doesnt get used much but have been considering getting it fired up again for a combination electric/gas HLT

To someone who has a "real italian" burner is it possible to try and measure what the jet size is at the needle valve?

Dat's where you need nasa power with a hp reg!

I don't think this was on full bore when I took it - I wouldn't have be able to get that close otherwise

Cheers

nasaburnerpower.jpg

PS: Just noticed how war of the worlds that pic looks - H.G. eat your heart out!

Dat's where you need nasa power with a hp reg!

I don't think this was on full bore when I took it - I wouldn't have be able to get that close otherwise

Cheers

nasaburnerpower.jpg

PS: Just noticed how war of the worlds that pic looks - H.G. eat your heart out!

well it is a "heat ray"

Along these lines Geoff is the burner a "real italian" one or a chinese version of an italian burner? The reason I ask is that I started out with one looking very similar to yours which whilst it may be refrerred to as an italian burner was really a chinese copy of an italian burner and I got similar performance to what Lagers44 is quoting. I messed around with a higher pressure reg. but found that performance was very unstable and it was very prone to blowing out. I suspect that the jet size may be different as there is no way I could ever get the performance that domomnsura has shown out of my version of the burner. I have now moved to a nasa style burner so this one doesnt get used much but have been considering getting it fired up again for a combination electric/gas HLT

Mine looks exactly like the one on the Beerbell, just with a different stand.

Adjustable HP reg, with needle vale adjustment on the burner, plus the sliding cover for oxygen intake means it's very easy to get a good burn going. I did some testing and got it to blow itself out a few times until I got it all in balance, once that happened, the shitty windy, wet weather we are having in Brisbane today didn't blow out the flame.

Back