How Do I Clean This...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
Well I pulled apart my old cordless kettle and I have taken the element out to use for my brewing setup. I thought I would post this as if anyone was thinking about throwing out their old cordless, you can still use the element if it's working, just keep all the fittings, screws, etc. and you will be able to rig it onto any HLT/Mash Tun/Kettle...??!!
I plan on using just some crimp bits over the live/neutral points on the element...just need a temp. controller now.

Also anyone know the best way to clean the scale off??

Kettle_Element_800x600.JPG

Kettle_Element_wiring_800x600.JPG

Scale comes off under acid conditions. Use a phosphoric acid based cleaner where possible.

I wouldn't bother. Under $10 for a new one from Crazy Clarkes. Comes with a IEC style fitting so you don't have to stuff around with crimping something on to the element directly.

yeh you can get kettles for like $7 from any big store like big w / aldi etc... come with a schmick looking element you dont have to clean + a way to plug the element into the wall :p

Have fun with the acid.. kettle/urn elements i've played with have been nickel coated and very susceptible to damage from abrasives or chemicals. But OTOH, you don't seem to have a great deal to lose by trying.

Question is - does it really NEED to be squeaky clean?

Our urn at work gets alot of use. Every few months to clean it we just put some white vinegar & water ( say 500ml of vinegar 5L of water ) in it and let boil for about 30 mins. ;)

Back