How Big Is The Improvement?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For yeast to work it needs Food (fermentable sugars) plus the right environment (Oxygen, Suitable temp, Correct PH)

What have you supplied them so far?

Is the remaining SG sugar Fermentable or Unfermentable
Have you given the wort a shake/swirl
Have you warmed things up a bit (to 25C even) to get things going again.
Would not worry too much about wort PH.

If the sugars remaining are unfermentable then it's finished. Extracts, liquid and dry are not fully fermentable. Some extracts are only 60% fermentable.

There has been a lot of discussion lately on this forum regarding extracts finishing high.

For yeast to work it needs Food (fermentable sugars) plus the right environment (Oxygen, Suitable temp, Correct PH)

What have you supplied them so far?

Is the remaining SG sugar Fermentable or Unfermentable
Have you given the wort a shake/swirl
Have you warmed things up a bit (to 25C even) to get things going again.
Would not worry too much about wort PH.

If the sugars remaining are unfermentable then it's finished. Extracts, liquid and dry are not fully fermentable. Some extracts are only 60% fermentable.

There has been a lot of discussion lately on this forum regarding extracts finishing high.

Yeah thanks Screwtop. I might give it a swirl and try to aerate it a fraction.

Although it started high (1080) I would have expectyed it to get lower than 1040. I was under the impression it may have been getting too high in Alc (~6% now) and thus the EC-118. I would have expected there was still quite a bit of fermentable sugars remaining.

Also, although the temps here have been low recently, Thursday Friday when I pitched the las batch of yeast (Dry) It was up around 16 - 18 and following a couple of unseasonally hot days it has been hovering at 18oC.

I think I will try giving it a swirl with a sterile paddle to see what happens.

:unsure:

cheers

ATOMT

Yeah thanks Screwtop. I might give it a swirl and try to aerate it a fraction.
:unsure:
DON'T aerate it, even a fraction - it's too late for that. Stir it to rouse the yeast - without aerating - and maybe add some yeast nutrient. You might want to raise the temp a couple of degrees to kickstart it.

Once you have the basics of sanitation down, 4 most important things without a doubt.
1) Fresh grain flava. if you can get extract fresh as the cows milk, fine, otherwise, USE GRAIN
2) HOPS. Get some into your wort, its worth it just to sniff the hops out of the packet 'fore you chuck em in.
3) yeast. I use dry, and its just fine for the styles I'm currently brewing. But the right yeast for the right style, pitched at the proper rate and started nice and strong.
4) Temperature. No point in wasting good on quality yeast if your going to ferment too high or too low. Respect your investment in time and ingredients, ferment at an appropriate temperature.

so simple.

Back