Hot kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
I've been trying to limit my drinking during the week, so turned the keezer off. I've got a couple of kegs on at the moment sitting at 16 degrees. Any issues associated with leaving the kegs at this temp and then chilling for a beer on Friday?

Any issues associated with leaving the kegs at this temp and then chilling for a beer on Friday?
Yes, you will have to drink it warm tomorrow night.

I would do the calculations on that (or use one of those cheap power meter thingies).

Keeping the beer (how many kegs?) at 5 or so degrees for 5 days versus chilling it down in a rush from 16 degrees (25+ in summer)?
You might find that the saving is absolutely minimal and the effect on your beer (cold hot cold hot) might not justify it.
Keeping home brewed beer at a constant temp has to be better than letting it fluctuate by that much every week. It's not commercial beer that might or might not have had special treatment (pasteurisation etc.).

If you're only letting it warm up to prevent you from drinking it then try will power. If that doesn't work then you might want to seek help elsewhere.

ajmuzza said:
I've been trying to limit my drinking during the week, so turned the keezer off. I've got a couple of kegs on at the moment sitting at 16 degrees. Any issues associated with leaving the kegs at this temp and then chilling for a beer on Friday?
Keep your beer chilled, the taste changes if heat and cool it. You could put a lock on the tap, exercise self control (maybe a genital cuff). Nah stuff it, just brew more and enjoy life!

I've got a power meter thing attached to my little keg fridge. The fridge is small, about 120L. It's probably not the most efficient whitegood ever sold.

It's been a while since I've checked the power meter, but from memory, the fridge uses about 3kWh of electricity per week. That's about $0.60 worth per week.

I prefer to leave the fridge on all the time. Partly because it'd be a pain in the arse to turn it off and on. Partly because I reckon that the fridge would have to run flat out for a couple of hours flat out to cool a warm keg.

If it's cost you're worried about, maybe turn the stc on the fridge up to say 7 deg mid week, but really it's only going to save you cents per week.

Sorry, I didn't address the wanting to drink less aspect of the OP.

I do agree that sometimes having cold good beer available on tap is an evil temptation.

Well it's either an evil temptation, or a necessary evil. I'm yet to decide ;)

Latest posts

Back