Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing them ok here on the Gold Coast.
Went away for a few days last october and came back to see them almost dead from lack of water and those black plastic pots get way too hot.
Cut them back and it took a while for some new growth to come back :D

First year plants

Chinook

Chinook.jpg

Nugget

Nugget.jpg

Cascade

Cascade.jpg

Only been feeding them with Seasol to establish root growth for the first year

I have a couple of first year plants here, Hallertau and Fuggle. The Hallertau has grown more than the Fuggle but both are healthy plants. They're only in pots this year but I have a couple of bigger raised garden bed things to put them in over the winter before next season. I'll just have one plant in each one, otherwise they'll get mixed up and I won't know what the hell I'm harvesting when they flower.

I have found that they grow like wildfire, but I won't really know the extent of the flowering until next year or the year after, as these are only first year plants and the harvest is usually less.

Like you say though, it's a bit of fun, and I'm not really worried about harvesting kg after kg of flowers or anything. If I get enough off them this year for a late addition in one brew I'll be happy.

Thats exactly it. Its all supposed to be fun, the better it goes is added bonus.

Far out. My Hallertau are probably half the size, if that, of those cones. It is a first year plant so I dunno if they get bigger in following years or not. At least it has produced some cones though. :)

Yeah, this year is the biggest I've seen this plant grow cones. She's probably 5 or 6 years old. Been transplanted twice. I split it this year to give some to a mate.
Maybe you need to follow this example. Or maybe move to a high altitude cold region, instead of bathing in sunshine and warmth year round.....
Its actually been a strange growing year. Went off like a canon, throwing 300mm growth per day and even flowered early. Then it seemed to go to sleep for a month, then started growing rapidly again and put out these massive cones.

I am gonna be moving them from their current pots into large raised garden beds over the winter and building a proper trellis for them. Hopefully this sees them improve although they are growing really well in the pot; I expect the root system is quite large now going by the thick, woody 'stems' at the base of the plant.

Back