Hops Virgin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
So I buy a 50gm sachet of Hallerua (spelling) Hop pellets from my HBS. I've never used hops and wanted to experiment, so I boil 15gms for 20 minutes to add taste. Now my plan was to steep 15gms for 5 minutes after for aroma, store the remainder for later.

So here's where my plan hit a wall, I mesured out the first 15gms no worries, man what a smell. She boils for 20 minutes and I'm happy. Then I measure 15gms for aroma and BANG...

10 grams of hop pellets come out.

Now I' a fair kinda guy. I understand the ways of the world, but someone has to explain to me how 15+10=50

I swear I'm going mental, how can you advertise 50gms hop pellets, and get exactly half of it? Are they advertising the packet weight as well?

Surely they must know we are going to weigh these?

I used to buy my pellets like that, (brewcraft i think) never had a dud one though.

checked the scales ?

cheers
yard

Was it discounted, like at 50% off ? LOL
sorry it had to be done.

I would go back to the HBS and confront them, I assume the remainding bags would be the same weight (check for the same approx volume) and get them to weight it in front of you.

I used to buy my pellets like that, (brewcraft i think) never had a dud one though.

checked the scales ?

cheers
yard

water has a density of 1, amazing that :p So 10 mls of water weighs 10gms as it should, 15 weighs 15, and 20 weighs 20.

My scales at least work. I think I will mail order any hops from now on, using a reputable dealer.

My first Hop encounter was also a disappointment my issue with about quantity it was quality which was the problem. The hops were stale and as a newbie to hops I was none the wiser until it came to tasting the results and it was foul, I hoped the brew would get better as time went by but it didn't so eventually I had to pour it down the sink. :(

What I learnt from that was find HBS that stocks fresh refridgerated hops and never buy hops sitting on a shelf and yes I also weight my hops when I get home. It's amazing how much 100g can vary from packet to packet in some places.

Latest posts

Back