Hops Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi All

Just about to make a Brew using Coopers Pale Ale and adding some Cascade hops pellets. Im just after some boiling time suggestions?

Thanks, Michael

Hi All

Just about to make a Brew using Coopers Pale Ale and adding some Cascade hops pellets. Im just after some boiling time suggestions?

Thanks, Michael

what are you boiling Michael? the can of goop? or a 10% LDME to water mix? ie 300g LDME in 3litres water...

a lot of ppl say not to boil the pre hopped goop tins (though i have before i heard that) because you'll lose all of the hops that's been put in there by the maker and also some of them have iso-hops which can go gnarly if boiled....

anyways... if not using grain i usually do about a 30 min boil.

bring to boil
10 g at 30 mins
10 g at 15 mins
10 g at flameout

i never get too technical with the alpha %'s etc, and i'm sure i'll stir some debate with my haphazard methods... but i like hops and i really like most of the beers i make... just make sure you take notes so you can replicate or re-tune your recipe next time.

:)

what are you boiling Michael? the can of goop? or a 10% LDME to water mix? ie 300g LDME in 3litres water...

a lot of ppl say not to boil the pre hopped goop tins (though i have before i heard that) because you'll lose all of the hops that's been put in there by the maker and also some of them have iso-hops which can go gnarly if boiled....

anyways... if not using grain i usually do about a 30 min boil.

bring to boil
10 g at 30 mins
10 g at 15 mins
10 g at flameout

i never get too technical with the alpha %'s etc, and i'm sure i'll stir some debate with my haphazard methods... but i like hops and i really like most of the beers i make... just make sure you take notes so you can replicate or re-tune your recipe next time.

:)

Im going to boil be2 with about 2L of water and add in the hops. not the Tin. I was planning on using 25g, is that too much?

Have a look and play with the Kit & Extract spreadsheet.[topic="29655"]Kit & Extract Spreadsheet[/topic]

It should give you a feel for effect of hop additions and boil times.
Chris

Im going to boil be2 with about 2L of water and add in the hops. not the Tin. I was planning on using 25g, is that too much?

Suggest 200g of BE2 in 2L water not exact but close enough.

60 mins boil will give lots of bitterness - IPA
30mins boil will give some bitterness and flavour
10 mins boil you get the drift ?

25g @ 30mins
15g@ 10mins
15-20g dryhop after 5 days ferment should give a hopbomb verging on AIPA.

Agree with printed forms and Tropical Brews.

For my own taste, I'd go 10 at 30mins and the kitchen sink at 10m personally. But I do like a really flavoursome hop bomb without excessive bitterness.

Really depends on your preferred style. AIPA, then tropical brew's methodology, Hoppy APA, then my suggestion. APA then printed forms' idea.

Be thankful you have a forum to ask these questions, and the ingredients to even try it. When I started, none of this existed, and I wondered what the silver 12g packets for $10 were for. It's a good time to be a brewer.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back