Hops Shooting Sideways

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

My Cascade hops are about 3M tall, and growing really well.

They have started sending out side shoots from very low on the plant, some of the shoots are now about 500mm long.

Do I snip em' or leave em' ?

Or should I train them up the support strings as well ?

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,
Grog

Cascade_001.jpg

How many other Bines and side shoots look like popping up? Is it a first year rhyzome? I reckon if you've got only a few then what Mark suggested would be the way to go, if there's heaps and it's only a first year, I'd cut em' off so the roots/rhyzome grow better for next yeah

When I clicked on this topic.... I had visions of you tossing your hop pellets into the kettle and them shooting sideways around inside the kettle, maybe leaping out over the edge.

Dunno why... But that's the image that leaped to mind. I was somewhat disappointed to discover the truth :D

Thanks for making me laugh TB, that was really funny!

To my limited knowledge those are the laterals - the ones that shoot out sideways when the bine has grown as tall as it can, and is where the hops grow. I would try diverting them away from the bine once they are high enough up off the ground (1+ metre?)

When I clicked on this topic.... I had visions of you tossing your hop pellets into the kettle and them shooting sideways around inside the kettle, maybe leaping out over the edge.

Dunno why... But that's the image that leaped to mind. I was somewhat disappointed to discover the truth :D

:lol: Same, mate!

From what I've read (and practised, though not sure if it made any discernable difference) you should prune all foliage and growth to about a metre from soil level. This is meant to deter ground dwelling pests from finding your tasty leaves and climbing higher...and higher....
Cheers, John.

Edit- But, yes, ofcourse if they are higher up, let 'em grow!

+1 TB

I was imaging everything but!!

To my limited knowledge those are the laterals - the ones that shoot out sideways when the bine has grown as tall as it can, and is where the hops grow. I would try diverting them away from the bine once they are high enough up off the ground (1+ metre?)

There are two types of laterals. The ones that grow from the bottom of the bine are really just the same as normal bines. They'll grow upwards for several meters.

The hop ones look different and start growing from the top of the bines.

Back