Hops On The Inside Of My Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I put my hop pellets in little bags just like Ross says, but the good bits still end up half way up the kettle and not in the boil what can I do I spend time scraping them off or washing them back in .Huh is there a way around this ??

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
I put my hop pellets in little bags just like Ross says, but the good bits still end up half way up the kettle and not in the boil what can I do I spend time scraping them off or washing them back in .Huh is there a way around this ??

Pumpy
[post="120842"][/post]​

Pumpy,

Then the holes in your hop bag must be too big... :)

yeah I was thinking the same, I do not get any hop mush up the sides when I use my bags..

try some different bags pumpy and see how it goes..

Hey Guys , My hop bags are quite fine ,I have not made them from 'fish net 'stockings :)

Pumpy

They may be fine, but they're obviously not fine enough! :D

Ross said:
Pumpy,
[post="120869"][/post]​

How do you seal your hop bags fellas? Drawstring??
Is there anything better like maybe velcro? Just curious.

:beer:

TidalPete said:
Ross said:
Pumpy,
[post="120869"][/post]​

How do you seal your hop bags fellas? Drawstring??
Is there anything better like maybe velcro? Just curious.

:beer:
[post="120922"][/post]​

I just tie a knot in mine... ;)

cheers Ross

i just bought some muslin.... miss KoNG is going to sew me up some hop bags. i plan to make them a little longer and then tie a knot in the whole bag instead of using drawstring.

KoNG said:
i just bought some muslin.... miss KoNG is going to sew me up some hop bags. i plan to make them a little longer and then tie a knot in the whole bag instead of using drawstring.
[post="120973"][/post]​

Kong,

Muslin may be a touch heavy? I use the finest grade of polyester nett curtain material - costs under $15 a meter from "Spotlight - Enough to make a life times supply.

cheers Ross...

Ross, i'll have to check it out. I wouldnt have thought that to be an issue?!? might save my hop bags full of plugs floating all boil. :D

KoNG, you can by a pre made curtain from Lincraft for $10 and it will easily make 10ish bags. I close mine with a piece of SS wire wrapped around the end, this keeps the bags as large as possible.

KoNG said:
Ross, i'll have to check it out. I wouldnt have thought that to be an issue?!? might save my hop bags full of plugs floating all boil. :D
[post="120986"][/post]​

Kong, apart from the hole size, if the muslin is a cotten type material it'll swell up with wort & won't work well at all. If it's made from a plastic type fibre it shoud work fine.

cheers Ross

Pumpy said:

Pumpy
[post="120842"][/post]​

Betcha they didn't look this bad Pumpy. :lol:

(Note; I'm non hop condom user) :p

Warren -

DSC01173.JPG

Ross said:
...I use the finest grade of polyester nett curtain material - costs under $15 a meter from "Spotlight - Enough to make a life times supply.

[post="120982"][/post]​

Is polyester curtain food safe?

[post="120842"][/post]​
[/quote]

Betcha they didn't look this bad Pumpy. :lol:

(Note; I'm non hop condom user) :p

Warren -
[post="120990"][/post]​
[/quote]

Yes they did Warren ,I think it comes from the rolling boil, it must be enevitable.!!

but Warren are you not taking a risk brewing without using a 'hop bag' a bit promiscuous of you ;)

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
but Warren are you not taking a risk brewing without using a 'hop bag' a bit promiscuous of you ;)

Pumpy
[post="121003"][/post]​

Like takin' a bath with your socks on Pumpy. :p

Warren -

apd said:
[post="120982"][/post]​

Is polyester curtain food safe?
[post="121002"][/post]​
[/quote]

Same material PET bottles are made from, so certainly hope so :) -

The trick to this is controlling the boil they say if you add big glass marbles to the boil ,it will Never boil over, like boiling beads,

Has anyone tried these ?

Pumpy

Has anyone thought of making a suspended wire box-type frame covered with this polyester netting stuff, rather than having the hop-condoms free floating about? The top would be open and above the water line for hop additions, and it could go down a fair way into the wort. Not sure if I've described it very well...

Joel said:
Has anyone thought of making a suspended wire box-type frame covered with this polyester netting stuff, rather than having the hop-condoms free floating about? The top would be open and above the water line for hop additions, and it could go down a fair way into the wort. Not sure if I've described it very well...
[post="121059"][/post]​

Sorta similar to this, but with a frame?

Rosscos hop sock
hop_bag_in_kettle.jpg

Back