Hops In Primary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger NZ

Reaction score
Hey all,

I put down my first partial brew today and I'm super paranoid that I've messed something up. I'd be grteful for someone to have a look through my steps and see if I've made any major mistakes.

Steeped 1kg crystal at 68C for 30 minutes.
Made the mash up to 22 litres and added 1.5kg LDME and 500g DDME
Brought to a rolling boil and waited until break had passed
Added 20g each of Fuggles and goldings
Boiled for 15minutes and added the same amount of hops.
added 10g each of hops at flame out.

I poured the beer into a fermenter and allowed to chill.

It's nealy at pitching temperature now but I've noticed that there's already a considerable amount of stuff at the bottom of the fermenter (it's almost up to the tap).

So, 2 questions: Is it way over hopped (it smells majorly green at the moment)?
Should I rack it off the stuff before I pitch?

I'm hoping to get a call of HTFURHAHB!

Few points:

- 1kg of crystal is a massive amount for 22L, you'll probably end up with a high FG and very sweet beer.

- I hope you didn't boil the grains, or you'll end up with tannins.

- Some would say there is no such thing as overhopping... I would say that's a moderate amount of hops, no problems there.

Few points:

- 1kg of crystal is a massive amount for 22L, you'll probably end up with a high FG and very sweet beer.

- I hope you didn't boil the grains, or you'll end up with tannins.

- Some would say there is no such thing as overhopping... I would say that's a moderate amount of hops, no problems there.

Nope, I took the grains out before I boiled but I think the mesh on my grain bag is a bit loose. Might have some tannins but not much I can do about that.

Do you have any opinion on the hops and stuff in the fermenter? Should they be removed?

Usually you strain hops from the brew before transferring to your fermenter.... I guess if you have a free fermenter, racking it won't hurt. Otherwise there will just be a little more gunk to rack off after primary fermentation.

Usually you strain hops from the brew before transferring to your fermenter.... I guess if you have a free fermenter, racking it won't hurt. Otherwise there will just be a little more gunk to rack off after primary fermentation.

Cheers mate!

Nope, I took the grains out before I boiled but I think the mesh on my grain bag is a bit loose. Might have some tannins but not much I can do about that.

Do you have any opinion on the hops and stuff in the fermenter? Should they be removed?

do you know what tannins actually are?

and "normally" most people strain the hops out before adding the wort to the carboy, but your beer should be fine regardless.

racking wouldnt hurt though.

and you definatly didnt over hop at all. i would say its under hopped personally. wont be bugger all bitterness.

especially seeings how you used 1kg of crystal. going to be very very sweet.

for an english bitter/pale ale/whatever youre going for something along the lines of:

200g crystal
3kg l/d me

bitter to 20ibu

half your hops @10 min
the rest @ flameout

make up to 23L and ferment with s-04/nottingham/good liquid english yeast.

Latest posts

Back